Sign in to follow this  
Guest griffinflying

Flight controls delay???

Hi!I noticed that in all (I suppose) FS2004 a/c's, there is a delay of some tenths of seconds between joystick/yoke/rudder deflection and the actual deflection of control surfaces (or VC yoke/rudder). My questions are:1) Is it just a visual delay (i.e. effecting just the a/c visual model)? Or is this delay actually reflected (taken into account) in the flight dynamics?2) Should the second hypothesis be true, why it is there? I noticed it's is in other flight simulators too (e.g., IL2 series). So I suppose it's there to take into account the fact that in a real a/c you can't probably wag the flight controls as fast as you can on a pc joystick. That's good, but on the other hand, could it increase Pilot Induced Oscillations?3) Is it hard coded in the sim, or is it maybe coded in .air or aircraft.cfg files? I mean, can you modify/eliminate it?Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Sensitivities in the settings menu, will default to about 50%. Setting them at full, will have surfaces moving at the same rate as the joystick.R/C airplanes also use different control rates and exponential settings, to account for the fact that the stick does not feel airloads. PIO might actually occure, when settings are at 100%, IMO.L.Adamson

Guest griffinflying

In the case of pushrod or cable controlled aircraft vs the boosted surface you do not have the "feel" of airloads like you do in a real airplane. The manufacturer also designs the amount of force needed to deflect the surface. A c152 is very light on roll and pitch where the C182 feels like a full size car vs sports car. I flew a Piper Seneca II and it had a very very light touch at cruise speeds. It was almost like my Flight sim yoke in feel. Another feel factor at least with cable controlled surfaces is the amount of slack. Just go out to any flightschool and work the controls of a bunch of Skyhawks. Yeah they are supposed to all be tensioned to the same amount but out of five of the same aircraft you will get five different feels. In flight, it translates to slop in the surfaces.