Sign in to follow this  
Guest VulcanB2

Texturing

Guest VulcanB2

Hi,Does anyone have any recommendations for texturing tubes etc.. that want different textures on them?i.e. a fuselage that is a tube in gMax wants to have two seperate sides, a top and a bottom, so decals can be added to either side and not be upside down/reversed if a single texture was wrapped around. The best I can find is to select multiple faces of one side, and map that to a texture file. Is there anything better/quicker than this?Best regards,Vulcan.

Guest Firestriker

I have not seen many cases where wrapping has been used. Most aircraft will texture just fine using a planar type of mapping applied to each side unless you have detail that you want to paint on the top and bottom or the front and back. If this is the case then you need to divide the model visually into four or six areas, top, bottom, left, right, front and back. Only you, as the modeler, can determine these divisions by analizing how the normals face. This is the great advantage of selecting groups of faces and then detaching them as elements and not new parts and using a multi-material. Once you become proficiant at texturing, you can skip the detaching to elements and simply use material IDs alone.Lou

Guest VulcanB2

Hi,Thanks - I think that is just about the method I'm using now. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing an obviously easier method! I'm good at doing that. :-lolBest regards,Vulcan.

As Lou said above, I've seldom used anything other than simple planar mapping on any GMax project I've worked on.There have been a few, rare instances where I've used Cylindrical Mapping, but none of those cases were for a major, detailed part. I was texturing simple tubes and found it expedient to use Cylindrical for them. For irregular shapes like most fuselages, they are a major PITA.Spherical Mapping is an absolute nightmare!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest VulcanB2

hehehe! I'll remember that for the future! :-lolThanks! :)Best regards,Vulcan.