Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ionizeyou

XML_WEP Control Gauge

I just uploaded a little gift to those XML'ers who'd like to be able to toggle WEP on/off. Unfortunately, MS seems to have forgotten to provide an XML key event for this... ;)Usage is drop dead simple, since all that is required is to toggle the L:WEP_Boost,enum variable in your XML mouse routine.I hope someone will enjoy this simple gauge... ;)XML_WEP.zip will be in the File Library tommorow. I've also attached the tiny zip to this message...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest iholrf

What are you, some kinda mind reader? I was pondering my own ADI/WEP switches non-functioning aspect and was going to post a question on just that topic.I am looking forward to seeing what you came up with.ThanksShad

Guest Douglas K

Nice gauge, but certainly not realistic. Also, this feature is already available via key press using the registered version of FSUIPC.I notice you didn't provide any info on how to configure the aircraft to use "War Emergency Power".If anyone wants to use this, the piston_engine section in aircraft.cfg needs to be modified to use the

>Nice gauge, but certainly not realistic. Also, this feature>is already available via key press using the registered>version of FSUIPC.>>I notice you didn't provide any info on how to configure the>aircraft to use "War Emergency Power".>Bill, you once claimed to be an aviation professional, or at>least to have a great knowledge of all things aeronautical, so>how can you not be aware of this? Are you looking to reduce>the realism, or are you simply unaware of the way real>aircraft and aircraft systems operate? Douglas, I had one - and only one - goal in mind, viz. provide access to a KEY_event in C that was currently unavailable to those who can only program XML gauges. That the "feature" is "available via key press using the registered version of FSUIPC" is simply irrelevant.I didn't provide any FDE information simply because I make the assumption that any developer who might wish to use this "solution" for their model would already know how to set it up.I've simply provided a screwdriver (a tool). I don't feel it is necessary to discuss thread sizes, helical properties, or pontificate on the relative merits of 'standard' vice 'metric' sizes.I've made no judgment at all as to the "realism" of the FS event. I simply sought to provide a way to access it.I'm afraid I don't understand the proximate cause of such a vicious and vitriolic attack on my person from you.

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

I can not speak to Bill's motivation for creating it, all I can talk about is why I implimented it on my planes.1) WEP, while perhaps not nicely modeled in the SIM, _is_ reality.2) When I had some people testing my project, one complaint I got was the max power setting seeming to high. ("Way too much power man!") Well if the ADI switch friggin worked, they would have seemed like a normal powered radials, instead of a radials on steroids until such time as WEP was explicitly turned on. (I had assumed people would recognize the MAP sitting way above redline and throttle back to normal levels. I was wrong). So in order to keep it "real" the switch and abilty to control when emergency power is available (instead of all the time) is a definate necessity.3) Water Injection solves a host of potential issues on highly stressed engines, not just detonation. Octane is a measure of burn rate and flash point (high octain burns slower and has a higher ignition point while under compression). Detonation is, as you described, a overly rappid and energetic burn of the fuel resulting in high cylinder and manifold pressures ("blew a gasket").Water (or whatever) Injection is like a short boost in octane. It has a secondary effect of cooling. Thus pre-detonation is also reduced or illiminated, not just detonation. Pre-detonation is when the mixture ignites prior to TDC (or where the timing off-set is set). This results in broken rod and shafts. (Put a rod through the cowling). Pinging due to hot spots is also ruduced. Pinging is when the mixture burns unevenly because part of it is ignited by a hot spot on the cylinder wall/head. This can damage the rings.I dont know about you, but I think it would be nice if I could model all of these things. All of these things are real.4) for a real world example of WEP in daily use, read some of the stories by the pilot/mechanic of the Howard 500 (Model available here by Milton Shupe et al.).http://www.flightsimonline.com/howard500/Howard500Flying.htmI wont go into a rant about downloadable models with 3500 hp Wright cyclone engines running at MAX MAP settings for a 90hp Continental running on street fuel.The point being, sometimes a poor implimentation (not saying this is at all poor Bill :)) is better than none at all.And, being a SIM, reality is not always the goal. Sometimes I just like to have fun.CheersShad

>The point being, sometimes a poor implimentation (not saying>this is at all poor Bill :)) is better than none at all.What I've created isn't an "implimentation" (sic) of anything at all.In C, there is a command KEY_WAR_EMERGENCY_POWER,0 with a corresponding read-state variable, viz., RECIP_ENGINEx_EMERGENCY_BOOST_ACTIVE.In XML, there is no equivalent command, although the read-state variable RECIP ENG EMERGENCY BOOST ACTIVE is available.I simply built an XML "finger" that points to the C "switch."----------------------case PANEL_SERVICE_PRE_UPDATE:WEP_Active_id = check_named_variable ( "WEP_Boost" ) ;WEP_Active = get_named_variable_value (WEP_Active_id);if (WEP_Active == 1 ) { trigger_key_event (KEY_WAR_EMERGENCY_POWER,0) ; WEP_Active = 0 ; }set_named_variable_value(WEP_Active_id, WEP_Active) ;break;-----------------------A friend of mine asked me yesterday if I could explain how to program such a gauge in C (he's never done any C programming at all). I explained that it would be much faster and easier to simply build the interface gauge for him. Having built the XML-interface gauge, I thought I may as well share it with my fellow colleagues for them to either use or ignore.Had I realized it would generate such a diatribe, I wouldn't have bothered. In fact, this will mark my last (free) contribution to the community.

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

By implement, I meant my use of ADI/WEP in my project not your coding of the gauge. I have not yet looked at the wep gauge you made. I hope you didn't think I was mentioning any displeasure with your gauge, idea, or posting. Quite the contrary, I was surprised by Douglas. I felt like it was equally a criticism about my implementation of WEP within my project, as it was about your creating a gauge for it. I hoped you had understood that when I said "not that this is poor". I should have been more clear.As for my spelling, it has always been a weakness. Almost every post I make ends up being edited because I am a poor typer and a poor speller. I very often write it in Word so as I don't embarrass myself like in the previous post.RegardsShad

I understood what you meant. Please don't mind my use of (sic). It's a "bad habit" of mine harkening back to the days when I proof-read technical articles... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest dcc

this is great news! thanks! (I've had great success with a WEP gauge Mike Wagner built some time ago, but it's nice to see there's a way to do it in XML now too.)- dcc

Guest Douglas K

>>>>I'm afraid I don't understand the proximate cause of such a vicious and vitriolic attack on my person from you.<<<

Hi,It seems that the gauge not only gives WEP to certain aircraft,but also adds some Afterburner effect to the discussion.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

>Hi,>>It seems that the gauge not only gives WEP to certain>aircraft,>but also adds some Afterburner effect to the discussion.Jan, it's hard to tell just what odd things may happen when turning on WEP in the sim. Certainly it is nothing that the simple conversion gauge does.I did notice during testing of the C function, that the state variable remains at a zero value until manifold pressure has increased above some threshold.Reducing MP will automatically toggle WEP off, and subsequently increasing MP will NOT trigger WEP again unless you've selected WEP explicitly again.

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

Douglas,While I am sure Bill can fight his own battles, and perhaps there is something between you two I don't know about (or even care to) I am going to reply anyway.What is for sure, is that your first post, to put if bluntly, was an offensive attack with no purpose what-so-ever. If, as you claim, you were trying to help Bill, then you would not have posted your note publicly, but sent your concerns to Bill directly.Instead you posted a public note questioning not just the gauges validity and usage, but also Bill's knowledge and intent. By proxy, as I had already writen a thank you, you questioned _my_ desire to use such a guage and the reasons why.I tried to be as polite in my reply as I could be, given the degree of offence I took to your comments. A politeness which, by the way, is sorely lacking in both your initial post and your reply (as is even the appearance of respect for this community and your fellow simmers).If you don't like something, fine. Change the channel. If you feel the need to comment, then at least have some flippen respect.Good Day to you Sir. I hope you learn to lighten up. **wanders off mumbling something about bitter people with nothing better to do than critisize**Shad

Guest VulcanB2

DouglasK: As above - no idea of what is going on between you and Bill, but that was just plain arrogant!I hope a forum Moderator/Admin bans your account.Vulcan.

Guest Ionizeyou

Thank you for this gift Bill. Believe me, this is one "gift-horse" I'll not be looking into the mouth of like some people have chosen to do. It's a situation where if you don't like something, you don't use it... it's that simple. That was a very tactless and mean reply to your work.Bill... thank you for all you contribute to this forum!