Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

Cloning only part of a part and grafting it

Guest iholrf

One of the things that is bugging me is the fact that now that I have raised the eye-position to more roughly match the real aircraft, the panel is being viewd from an above angle. This is not an issue, because it seems that is the way it is in the real AC too. The problem is when flying, the cockpit looks like it ends at the panel (which it does). I realize that from this vantage point I would be seeing part of the windscreen faring and a great deal of the upper nose.So to solve this I thought I would graft the top part of the nose from the exterior model onto the the interior model. The only thing is, I have no idea how to select the parts I need, except one vertex at a time and I end up with an ugly mess (status quo for GMAX and I). Trying to drag the points I need is fine on one plane only (i only need the top of the nose section not all of it), how do I add that third dimension to the selection process? How do I ensure that I match both left and right parts during the selection and when grafting ensure they stay together?The GMax interface is still a huge mysterious place to me. I figure if I can manage this, I might be able to build the poly's for the backlighting.TIAShad

Guest iholrf

Well, I have made some progress, in that I just grabbed the whole fuslage, Cloned it, linked it to the interior and deleted all of the verticies until i had a close approximation of what I want.The problem now is, I can see it if I raise the see waaaaay up with shift-enter, but in the normal position it can not be seen. Why is this? I have turned off backface cull, but this seems to have no effect in the sim.Shad

Guest iholrf

Aha! Sometimes the solution is not as complicated as it first seems. Instead of trying to graft a nose (which solved nothing) I took a second look at the problem. I realized that a lot of the VC was misproportioned. The panel and yoke were to far away, the center console and pedals were too close. To compensate for the panel, I had moved the eye point further forward, but that made the whole thing look as I described above.So I moved the panels about six virtual inches closer to the seat, left the pedels and console, reoriented the yoke, moved the eye back and down and voila... I now look like I am in a complete aircraft not one that suddenly ends at the nose. Now all I have to do is re-orient the windshield pillars. The one marked #1 below need to be replaced with one where I have drawn the line. #2 need to be angled a bit more to increase the rake which is too steep for the type.But it is already light years better now that I realized I had misplaced the panel.Much funShadhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/122833.jpg