Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robert Sanderson

FSDS 2 Poly limit?

I am working on a joint project that tips the scale at 35,000 polys. However, after I compile the project (during which no errors appear), nothing is displayed on the MSFS screen. I compiled the same project in GMAX (I converted the source from GMAX to FSDS) and it does display in MSFS. Since I am more fluent in FSDS 2, I want to complete the project there and the aircraft displays perfectly in FSDS 2's screens.So the question is, does FSDS 2 have an upper poly limit on what can be displayed? If I trim the project below 30,000 polys by deleting some of the parts, the aircraft displays correctly.Thanks,John

Thanks,The mdl being created is currently under 3 megs, but I'll look at the article and see what I can find.-John

HiSome times if you have the same refrence parts in more than 1 model you can have display problems (pilot_view ect in the VC and main model)another solution is to join parts together.Another trick is to load the mdl in aircraft container manager http://www.aircraftmanager.com (its payware but works in demo mode) have a look at the wireframe and see what parts are showing,as one of those parts is causing a problem and all the proceding parts are not being generated.Have a look at these parts in fsds for material errors ect CheersWozza

Guest Robert Sanderson

"So the question is, does FSDS 2 have an upper poly limit on what can be displayed?"Yes, there's a definite limit. Also, it's per model, so if you bust the limit on the visual model then it won't show, or if the VC gets too big the same thing will happen. AFAIK the .mdl file size has nothing to do with it. I've compiled model files as high as 5.7 MB with no display problems in FS2004. As you said, the upper limit seems to be around 35000 polygons, but I've run into the same problem with the model not showing up when the vertices exceeded a certain (unknown) limit. The only solution seems to be a ruthless optimization of the model(s), and don't forget to "Delete orphaned points" when necessary.Take care,Robert

Thanks Robert,Since the original source was in GMAX and since GMAX lets you more easily modify the number of polys in standard parts like cylinders, etc, I modified the source in GMAX then reconverted it to FSDS and eliminated over fifteen thousand polys with no visual degradation of the end result. I was able to port it back over to FSDS and recompile and the model displayed. The fun part of this is I am using it to gain a bit more fluency in GMAX, since I want to use GMAX to mold certain parts for FSDS projects. Eventually, I hope to switch to GMAX altogether, sometime before the release of FS2012 :) -John

Guest iholrf

>Eventually, I hope to switch to GMAX>altogether, sometime before the release of FS2012 :) >>-John:7, :-lol*nods*Shad

Guest Robert Sanderson

"I modified the source in GMAX then reconverted it to FSDS and eliminated over fifteen thousand polys with no visual degradation of the end result."Wow! I'm happy to shave a few hundred polys when I optimize, losing over 15000 with no visible impact is amazing! Robert