Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FS 11 - New Rendering Engine?

Guest sfgiants

All,With the release of Train2, I've read that FS will have a new rendering engine. Is this true?Tim

Guest tcable

I think that the answer now is really TBD.However my guess is that it will be modified and extended version of the DX10 preview engine- one that is more fully developed as there will have been a whole lot more energy put into it by the core team.I think that threading will be even more fleshed out as it is now clear that the hardware side is all about cores, not sheer speed- process more threads simultaneously, not a single thread as quickly as possible.I'm one that is running FSX today quite acceptably. Sure I'm not all sliders at max, but I'm at least 75% on all of them with a Q6600.Tim

Guest jshyluk

My understanding is that ACES plans to learn lessons from how Train Sim 2 works out. They are certainly trying things out in Train Sim that they learned from working on FSX, both the good and the bad.How much of a new rendering engine we will see will depend on a lot of things: time and budget, of course, as well as DX10. If the new Flight Sim is totally dependant on DX10, you could expect that Windows XP will be not supported, however this is just my personal guess, and not an official statement of fact. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Microsoft ESP is the "new rendering engine" for the core platform. Here are some links for further information:Microsoft ESP:http://www.microsoft.com/esp/FAQ:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/esp/cc442497.aspxMicrosoft ESP Developer Center:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/esp/default.aspxMicrosoft ESP SDK:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155301.aspxGiven that ESP is not aimed at the "simmer market" but is aimed at the much more lucrative "commercial level serious games market," what are the some of the implications and benefits to those of us who belong to the "simmer market?"First and formost is the simple fact that by developing the core platform for the "commercial level serious games market," ACES simply must invest the time and money to create a more stable, expansible and robust sim engine. Since the exact same core platform will be used for any other title ACES develops (Train Sim, Flight Sim, xxx Sim), the immediate benefits should be obvious!Secondly, and by no means less important, ACES must also invest the time and resources into improving both the toolsets needed (modeling, gauge programming, scenery, flight modeling, etc.) and the accompanying documentation. This will translate into a huge improvement for all FS 3rd party developers, both payware and freeware.All of this is based on current public information, but I can say that from what has been revealed, that as both a "consumer" myself as well as a "3rd party developer" I am very much impressed and excited about the future of the FS franchise.I am very confident that FSvNext will prove to be a watershed moment...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest fsxmissionguy

Bill,Do you believe that vNext will feature real-world physics?

Ya, I agree Bill. The next version of flight sim should be much more developed and stable. Now the ACES has a Core team working on the rendering engine. The flight sim team should not be bogged down as much waiting on a stable platform (to see their results) compared to other version of flight sim.

Guest sfgiants

Great info on this thread. I also believe that since MS has a central team working on the rendering engine, they can focus more of their efforts on other tracks for FSNext. Now we just need a go-live date like October 2009 for example.Tim

So we will have FSvnext + Windows 7 in 2010?I'm not sure about this "new rendering engine". I know its been said that addon backward compatibility is not a given. I've also seen a "what-if" trial balloon floated about procedural scenery elimination. scott s..

Maybe I missed something, but ESP looks exactly like FSX right now....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>>I'm not sure about this "new rendering engine". I know its>been said that addon backward compatibility is not a given. >I've also seen a "what-if" trial balloon floated about>procedural scenery elimination. >>scott s.>.>I'd say, keep all your source files...gmax, xml, etc.For example the seasons tifs or what-not that you might have made--you probably will still be able to use these, but you'll have to use FS11 SDK tools to re-process them, would be my guess.I'd hope the pro's definitely outweigh the cons.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Maybe I missed something, but ESP looks exactly like FSX>right now....>>+1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Nick_N

CorrectESP2 is what will be deveolped according to what I recall but I am old so dont trust my memoryI have not looked into it since last year when it was introduced

>Maybe I missed something, but ESP looks exactly like FSX>right now....>>ESP is a growing system. As the Core team works on improving the engine, the simulation, etc, those upgrades will go into Train Sim, new versions of FS and updates to ESP.ESP is essentially the simulation platform without any of the game UI on top of it, so that the companies that license the technology can build their own interfaces on top of it.

Guest Shalomar

I have read this thread with a sinking feeling. The last rumor I heard was that aircraft built to SP2 specs would be compatible with VNext. According to this thread this will most likely not be the case. Oh well, if we are starting from scratch I just hope the engine improvements are worth it.Best Regards, Donald T. :-wave