Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karl R Pettersen

Fuel System Lament... "Curse you MS!" (in my best Snoopy voice *grin*)

Oh if there was a way to individually select either main tank without draining the externals, tip & aux's first, I'd be a happy camper (with a fully functional fuel system!) *argh*

Guest bones

I've been looking at this too recently and am using: This doesn't quite work because the selected tank(s) still feed both engines and I want left tanks to feed the left engine and right to right.

Doug, do you carry a lance or a sword? (when running to my rescue from the evil clutches of FS9 limitations? *grin*)If it did a simple left and/or right main tank selector (I assume overriding the FS9 fuel selector, if active), that would be a godsend!I've got everything working except the last 20,000 lbs will draw from the wrong tanks. (out of over 300,000 lbs and 10 tanks, that ain't too bad I guess).rambling: The real world fuel checklist for this acft has you draw a bit from _every_ tank at _various_ times. Therein lies the catch 22... it doesn't work with FS9 because the mains won't draw unless externals, tips and aux's are empty.

>This doesn't quite work because the selected tank(s) still>feed both engines and I want left tanks to feed the left>engine and right to right.Here's a quick shot in the dark without thinking about my answer as I should (my head's too wrapped in my system at the moment due to lack of sleep to step back and _really_ look at yours sorry.)... Do you have the following in your aircraft.cfg [fuel] section?number_of_tank_selectors = 2

Guest bones

E - you got it right first time. Changed to 2 tanks and all is now well.It's annoying that this value is in the aircraft.cfg file because it now means a simple redesign of Fred's Aztec panel becomes more than just new gauges and a second panel folder. I'd hoped to give users a choice but the aircraft.cfg file change means the panels are mutally exclusive - unless you create an entirely new aircraft folder..My thanks to you and apologies for the unintentional thread hijack..

>My thanks to you and apologies for the unintentional thread>hijack..No problem! I was just venting some frustration and had no hope/designs for a fix... but now there may be one!

Jon,The idea is that you can assign any fuel tank to supply any engine. The gauge will use FSUIPC writes to "move" the fuel draw from the tanks FS is defaulting to to the tanks that the user has selected.The trick will be in making sure the gauge will not mess up refuelling. I will also likely have to put a fuel dump routine into this gauge, as it will most likely be incompatible with the existing fuel dump gauge.I've got the thing scoped out in my head, I just have to get off my butt and write the code...Doug

Doug,Your fuel gauge sounds fantastic. Thanks for taking on yet another great tool project.You mentioned incorporating a fuel dump into it. A set of L:Vars, one to toggle a dump (bool) and one to set a rate would be fantastic as a way to build (or hide) an interface to the dump function.Controlling the rate of refueling would also be very cool, but I haven't a clue what sort of problems you would encounter with that:)--Jon

Hi,May be it was a "personal" version, but I got from Doug a fueldump gauge with a L:var On/Off function and adjustible rate depending of the state of the center fuel pumps.(In the 767-300 only the center tank can be dumped)Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

I've distributed that version of the fuel dump gauge to a small number of people. The documentation is still pretty thin and it hasn't been well tested, which is why I haven't uploaded it.Doug

Doug,Works as docmented with me.Only thing is unpredictedtable failure, when tcas (LEE H's gauge) in use(?)Something with fsuipc?Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Karl R Pettersen

>Oh if there was a way to individually select either main tank>without draining the externals, tip & aux's first, I'd be a>happy camper (with a fully functional fuel system!) *argh*HiWell, if you can allow a minor discrepancy between what the fuel menu reads and what the gauge reads, you can select to use external1 for main left and external2 for main right. The gauge itself can be written to show a tooltip that explains this, i.e. "Left Main (Ext1) tank (200 lbs)", instead of using the prebuilt tooltips.Then you would have a fuelsystem that works a lot better than just accepting it as a bug and just proclaim "due to limitations..." :)Under normal circumstances there should be enough tanks to choose from without having to resort to the "buggy" mains. I think this "bug" could very well be by design, as it could have it's uses. I only wish it was possible to relabel the tanks in the fuelmenu per aircraft.