Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Plane skids off runway in Honduras, 5 dead

Here's two videos of landings at this airport, one is from a 737 cockpit view. You can see why this airport is so hazardous!

And here is one from an airport in France I've never heard of and the runway elevation changes wouldn't even be modeled right in flight sim to try it! Really hairy! Check out the slope of the runway! The pilot looks like he's almost going to hit the end of the runway when he lands.
Kim

That is one of the most dangerous approaches in the world. MHTG.I'm surprised there haven't been more incidents there.That's a visual approach (circling) only--I'm surprised they allowed the approach given the rain and fog in the area from Tropical Storm Alma. I'm very surprised.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I seeing several places that traffic with higher approach speeds - C and above catagory which would include all the jets currently flying into MHTG - is going to be moved to the air base in Comayagua - MHSC. With an approx 45 nm straight line ground trip over the mountains being required to get to Tegucigalpa - probably be 80-90 miles road distance.It will be interesting to see if that decision holds.

They have been talking about moving it to Comayagua for years and they have never done it. I think it's considered too far away given the condition of the mountain roads and transport they have there.Problem is, there is only so much you can do with MHTG. In the last 10 years they have dug out the entire hillside on the approach end, to give pilots more room.On the other end of the runway, as you can see by the A320 incident, there is a 20-30 foot drop-off down to a busy road below. Not much you can do to lengthen that end of the runway.The bottom line here is that I think the airport should have been inop due to the wx conditions at the time. They shoulda diverted him to San Pedro de Sula (MHLM) or Comayagua, either one.If I ever get off my duff, I will finish my scenery of MHTG. It's a fun approach to do in a 737 in FS. I've skidded off the end of that runway, also.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB