Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

XML Woes... I though I'd see everything...

I have a rather simple transponder that is giving me a fit...It will load and run perfectly on several FS9 machines, but will cause an "ntdll.dll" error on several others.The code has been checked and verified to be error free and all the XML has been validated several times and is certifiably "well-formed."Has anyone ever run across this type of problem before?What makes things even MORE confusing... I've managed to get the same gauge running on one of my "problem" FS9 machines, but the same code won't work (just disappears entirely) when loaded on the other FS9 computer!Argh!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One problem I can think of when I was working on a panel project with another gentleman.. Any negative placement of the gauge for example:Gauge01=Blah!Blah, -1, 0, 250, 250It would work fine on my setup... Not his.Regards,Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

>>One problem I can think of when I was working on a panel>project with another gentleman.. Any negative placement of the>gauge for example:>>Gauge01=Blah!Blah, -1, 0, 250, 250>>It would work fine on my setup... Not his.Thanks for the guess... unfortunately that isn't an issue in this case. :(

Fr. Bill    

Hi BillNtdll.dll is a windows system file (ie not related to any fs9 install)this could mean that the sytems that are having problems could just be sick.judging from the hits on "ntdd.dll error"on google its a common problem.If the system is a win2k then there was a flawed ntdd.dll which could be exploted,this has been patched by M$oft.If the system has never been patched/updated it could be the problem.This is just all pie in the sky but maybe a combo of gauges and system causes the system to spit the dummy.As the old saying go's remove all posible senerios whats left no matter how strange is the culprit:DcheersWozza

Guest iagman

"The code has been checked and verified to be error free and all the XML has been validated several times and is certifiably "well-formed."What software do you use to do that?Glenn

>Hi Bill>Ntdll.dll is a windows system file (ie not related to any fs9>install)>this could mean that the sytems that are having problems could>just be sick.All the computers tested thus far are running WinXP. In one case, the laptop had both a "virgin" WinXP install and a "virgin" FS9 (patched 9.1) install.Now, follow closely along with me on this one:1 (>L:XMLClick,enum) (L:Function,enum) 1 + 7 min (>L:Function,enum)On my main flightsim computer, the above works perfectly. L:Function,enum will increment from 0 to 5 and then reset to 0 as designed.On my office computer, the same code will not reset to 0, but instead will continue to increment L:Function,enum... This is truly frustrating!

Fr. Bill    

>Ew, that's... disturbing. Not that it should make any>difference, but have you tried changing the units from enum to>something arbitrary?That didn't make any difference. However, I find that forcing the variable back to 0 does work well on both computers:1 (>L:XMLClick,enum) (L:Func,enum) 4 > if{ 0 (>L:Func,enum) } (L:Func,enum) 1 + 5 min (>L:Func,enum) But, I should not HAVE to do this...I think I've narrowed down the XML that's the proximate cause of the "ntdll.dll" error:(L:GTXCursor,enum) 1 ==I'm about to test this "theory" by removing the "Transparency="0.3" to see if that is the problem...If I'm correct in this, the "Transparency" tag is the problem. If so, then perhaps it is an outdated and/or corrupt gdiplus.dll that is at fault.NOTE: I was correct. The "Transparency" tag is the problem!CRASH!NO CRASH!

Fr. Bill    

Guest iholrf

>"The code has been checked and verified to be error free and>all the XML has been validated several times and is>certifiably "well-formed.">>What software do you use to do that?>GlennXML can be verified online at www.w3.org. Any decent XML editor usually also includes a built in tag validator. What this means is all tags are legal, closed and sane. Nothing checks to see if your code is right. Thats up to you.For C/C++ there are also built checkers/tidiers within the IDE you are using. Then of course there is the error output from preprocessing and compiling. This is where your debugging tools come in. Again just because the code is error free (as far as the checker / compiler / interpreter know about), it doesn't mean you have writen good code.CheersShad

Guest Slacktide

>If I'm correct in this, the "Transparency" tag is the problem.> If so, then perhaps it is an outdated and/or corrupt>gdiplus.dll that is at fault.>>>NOTE: I was correct. The "Transparency" tag is the problem!>Darn, that transparancy element looked useful. What kind of video cards are installed in the machines that crash/don't crash? Perhaps a driver bug or unsupported DX feature?

>Darn, that transparancy element looked useful. What kind of>video cards are installed in the machines that crash/don't>crash? Perhaps a driver bug or unsupported DX feature?Both machines are running WinXP (not patched!). I'm investigating ntdll.dll and gdiplus.dll to see what version numbers are running on each of the two.

Fr. Bill    

Hi,I use this one for years:(L:ind lights,bool)(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 0 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 1 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 2 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 3 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 4 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 5 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 6 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 7 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 8 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 9 ==(L:overhead lights intensity,enum) 10 ==Never any crash.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Jan, I don't doubt that for a minute...However, I've found at least four computers thus far that will crash with a "ntdll.dll error" if the keyword "Transparency" is anywhere in the XML code, even if the line containing that word is commented out!Three other team members are experiencing the same issues with ntdll.dll errors, engendering a CTD. In one case, the error is so severe that FS9 simply STOPS and dumps back to the Desktop without ANY error message.Just having the commented out line present will cause a crash, because the XML Parser is encountering it when auto-generating the run-time drawing code... Thus far, updating ntdll.dll per MS's recommendation hasn't fixed the problem, nor has updating gdiplus.dll fixed it...

Fr. Bill    

I second this.Used the same technic for my EICAS brightness system with no trouble at all.Tom

Well, maybe I'm chasing after a "Red Herring." I just checked and the default GPS will load and display just fine on this "problem computer..."...and needless to say, it too uses the "Transparency=XX" tag just fine... With that in mind then, I guess I'm just going to have to rip into the XML code with a fine-toothed comb, searching for more clues...One of the "XML Validation checks" I've come to depend on is whether the code loads and runs properly in FS9.Since I now have TWO examples of XML code that will run on ONE machine and NOT on another, that truly means that using FS9 as an "XML Validation check" isn't reliable at all...

Fr. Bill