Sign in to follow this  
Guest ghrasko

Third engine in An24

Guest ghrasko

I am not the one dealing with the air file in the team (I am programming gauges), but we are presently discussing whether it would be possible to simulate the 3rd auxilliary engine (RU-19) of An24. It resides in the same block together with the main right turboprop engine, but is is turbofan. It is used to provide electricity for main engine start and also for taking off and climbing in certaing circumstances.I know that it is not possibly to define two types of engines (i.e. turboprop and turbofan) in a single aircraft, but maybe we can make some tricks, as this engine is only an auxilliary one with a relative small power.My idea is to define RU-19 as turboprop also, but not to make visual propellers on the modell. Is it possibly to tune the air file so that it resembles to a low power turbofan engine?Is it feasible at all?Gabor

Guest IanK

Hello Gabor,you can have up to 6 engines of the same type as far as the panels go. There is only one model used in the .air files. The engine type is defined by an integer.310=*Engine Type,int8310h=0=Piston|1=Jet|2=Glider|3=Helicopter|4=Rocket|5=TurboPropYou can do what you like with the graphics however.Ian

Guest ghrasko

Ian,What do you mean on the "same type". I understand, all three should be of type TurboProp in my case (even if the 3rd one is Jet on the real An24), but can they have different characteristics?Gabor

>Ian,>>What do you mean on the "same type". I understand, all three>should be of type TurboProp in my case (even if the 3rd one is>Jet on the real An24), but can they have different>characteristics?No, they will be identical. However, you can use a hidden "gauge" to force the "APU engine" to remain at idle by disabling the throttle control for that one "extra engine."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ghrasko

> by disabling the throttle control for that one "extra engine."How do you disable? Do you mean you set (force) it to idle every 1/18th second, or can you really disable and forget it? (I know how to do the first)Gabor

>> by disabling the throttle control for that one "extra>engine.">>How do you disable? Do you mean you set (force) it to idle>every 1/18th second, or can you really disable and forget it?>(I know how to do the first)Absolutely not! You NEVER want to trigger a key event continuously, as that is a big no-no that will kill performance.Simply check the position of the throttle lever for engine3 and set it back to zero as needed. This is only needed "just in case..."However, the best approach is to have a command sequence that runs only one time in the gauge, that will issue a SELECT for only engines 1 & 2 on panel load.

Fr. Bill    

Guest ghrasko

> Simply check the position of the throttle lever for engine3 > and set it back to zero as needed.Yes, of course, that's what I meant. But still check it every 1/18th second.> the best approach is to have a command sequence that runs only > one time in the gauge, that will issue a SELECT for only > engines 1 & 2 on panel load.Selecting Engine 1 OR Engine 2 is OK. But how do you select Engine 1 AND 2 (leaving out Engine 3)?Gabor

KEY_SELECT_1; KEY_SELECT_2; KEY_ENGINE;

Fr. Bill    

Guest ghrasko

>KEY_SELECT_1; KEY_SELECT_2; KEY_ENGINE;Ok, thanks, I will try. So you mean that after sending these messages the single throttle lever on the joystick will control only Engine 1 AND 2, but not Engine 3. My guess was that this meant controlling Engine 2 only (as that appeared right before KEY_ENGINE).Gabor

>>KEY_SELECT_1; KEY_SELECT_2; KEY_ENGINE;>>Ok, thanks, I will try. So you mean that after sending these>messages the single throttle lever on the joystick will>control only Engine 1 AND 2, but not Engine 3. My guess was>that this meant controlling Engine 2 only (as that appeared>right before KEY_ENGINE).It is the same thing as pressing Shift-E, 1, 2

Fr. Bill