Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

Too many gauges??

Hey Folks.I've been adding some new gauges to a panel. My latest one however brings up an error message when I click on it. It reads :- ' Your Computer has run out of memory, FS will now close 'My pc has a gig of RAM and although I'm not a techie I would have thought that the RAM was sufficient. Is there however a limit to the number of gauges one can put in a panel? The new gauge is number 118. Is that too many? When I remove this latest gauge I do not get the error message!!! The gauge is a simple switch to toggle a new window ( no. 4 ) I have made a copy of the main panel bmp and added some new night light effects using the LightArtist programme. The new switch toggles this new window bmp, at least it would do if I did not get this error message.Any thoughts?Regards...Kenny

Guest JeanLuc_

What if you configure this gauge in place of the actual gauge117 in the panel.cfg file? if this is still crashing, the gauge is the culprit. If not, 118 is a limit!Hope this helps!

Guest iholrf

Interesting. My setup just stops displaying gauges after 99 (in one window). All told there are about 150 gauge entries in my project config (many small gauges will be made into a few big gauges later).Never crashed because of it though, nor run out of memory and I have only 512mb. Is your swap file set to grow as needed?Sounds more like something has a massive memory leak. Maybe triggered when one gauge/dll(?) interacts with the new gauge?CheersShad

Hi Guys.Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Jean Luc, I'll do what you suggest and take out a gauge or maybe even two if need be and then place my new gauge and see if FS still errors. Hopefully not.Shad, I'm reading up on the swap file idea. I know about the file and kinda know what it does but not in a proper way. Perhaps the file is not set to the correct size for the pc, I'll go check after reading the info on the net. I don't know how to make it grow as required, maybe you could come back on that bit.Regards...Kenny

Guest iholrf

If you did not explicilty change your swap file settings ("virtual memory in Windows lingo), then it should be already automatic. In XP its in the control panel/system/advanced tab/performance/settings/advanced tab (again)/virtual memory.The usual default is "custom size" with initial size of 768 and maximum size of 1536 with my machine.Other names for the swap file is "page file" and as mentioned "virtual memory".The swap file is what the system uses when it runs out of physical memory by freeing the memory in ram that the OS determins has not been used recently and placing it the file for retrieval if needed.The problem with "out of memory" errors are they are so non-specific. I have had the sim "grow the swap file" while playing (usually if I use the Greater Toronto Area scenery and fly into it).The sim itself had (has?) a memory leak problem that MS claims to have fixed in the Sim's SP.CheersShad

Hi Shad.Sorry for the delay in getting back, I've been working on the gauge nonstop. Thanks for the info. I've checked it and it's set to 'auto'.I'll leave it there as I've made some changes to the panel and the error message has disappeared. So annoying these succinct messages. A bit more detailed explanation or even a pointer to why it doesn't like what's happened would be good. Ah well.Cheers...Kenny