Sign in to follow this  

Proper XML Syntax for TAB in a STRING

Could some one point me toward an explanation on how to determine tab settings in a string or formatted text?I've looked at some gauge files played with some, but I can't make heads nor tails out of how to set tabs where I want them with the L C R tags.Thanks,Paul

well... I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't have a clue how to do this!?Oh well

Hi,Do as I did:Make a test gauge with formattedtext and start to experiment with the tabs between pieces of string.Use t for the tab and n for the returnMake the x and y text sections long enough to contain the string.Experiment with Color, Fontsize and Linespacing etc.An example, play with it and see what happens:{clr2}n{lsp=5}{fnt1}ttTAKEOFF REFtt1/1n{lsp=25}{fnt}{clr} tOATttTRIP/V1tn{lsp=15} %((A:AMBIENT TEMPERATURE, celsius) 999 min)%!+4d!cttt%((L:VSPEED_V1,number))%!d!n tSEL TEMPttVRtn{lsp=15} %((A:TOTAL AIR TEMPERATURE, celsius) 999 min)%!+4d!cttt%((L:VSPEED_Vr,number))%!d!tn tRED 20K N1ttV2tn{lsp=15} 90.5/89.6%ttt%((L:VSPEED_V2,number))%!d!n tt - - - - - PRE FLT COMPLETE - - - - - ttn{lsp=15} tttn tttTO SHIFTtn{lsp=15} ttttRW-- -00Mn ttttn{lsp=15} < INDEXtttn ttttn{lsp=..} "0verrides" the Linespacing in the mainsection as does {fnt..} and{clr..}When you want to change the tabs in a single row you can use:{tabs=" , , "etc.} placed at the beginning of that row L,C,R adds just left, center and right align.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Thanks Jan. I've found your posts to be very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to write this one for me.Paul

Hi Jan, usingTabs="0,10L,140C,270R,280R">if you have say tt at the end of a line, does that mean it will use 10L before printing again? That is, will it tab 10 spaces and be left aligned. So if you use ttt, does that use 140C, etc? I've always found this confusuing.nickBTW, our site is down at the moment while we change servers.

Nick - thank you so much for your site and the wonderful tutorials and variable listings you have provided. It has made the learning curve a little less steep!Paul

Nick,That almost is correct.Example:Tabs="0,10L,140C,270R,280R" tOntFntFwill give "OFF" written vertical at the 10 TAB, Left aligned.And:ttOnttFnttFthe same, but centered around the 140 TABetc.(if that is what you mean)Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest taipan_daz

Jan,Having just found this page, I can not believe I have lived so long without formatted text.I am absolutely indebted to you for the example on this page.Cheers.

Guest Vorlin

I had seen this page but never realized how incredibly useful it can be. This should go into a "must read" list.My own experiments revealed some things that weren't mentioned here (though I'm sure Jan knows these tricks and many more).If you already knew all this, sorry to waste your time. If you are like me and didn't realize the possibilities here, this can open a lot of doors. (Think beyond using it only for text)******************{clr2} *** Sets color #2, dkgrayn *** Newline{lsp=5}{fnt1}tt *** 2 tabs set us at 140CTAKEOFF REF *** Plain old texttt1/1n{lsp=25}{fnt} *** Resets font parameters in the Formatted Text tag{clr4}Blue{clr3}Red{clr}Color reset to #00FF00***************There's plenty more possibilities... if statements nearly without limits... Case statements good for much more than images... the list goes on.Lots to explore, lots to learn! Good times!Scott / Vorlin