Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Token Var monitoring tool

Guest HartmannH

Hi everybody,I just saw that IGFly released a utility to monitor several token vars and execute XML code while FS is running. It might be interesting for some of you.http://www.igfly.com/features.php?product=dbs-varviewIf anyone chooses to buy it, I'd appreciate a little review. Right now I'm not sure if I need it or not. Thanks :-)Best regards,Hans(not affiliated with IGFly or DBS in any way ;-))

Thanks for the "heads up," Hans. It appears that would be an excellent tool for 'newbies' especially, and perhaps even some of the "oldtimers." ;)For me though, I've become accustomed to using either my own custom display, Doug's xml_id.gau, or the FSlook.exe from the FSUIPC SDK, and likely wouldn't find much use for it.In any case, it's a brilliant bit of programming ledgerdemain! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Hans,Thanks for posting this here.At first glance, it seems like a very nice and powerfull "XML development environment".But, in view of the price, I just wonder who their customers will be.For starting XML developers: I doubt that many will invest $70 for such a tool.For those that have allready a lot of XML experiance: I think by now, most of them (us :-) ) will allready have created there own test tools and environment. So unless it's very clear what such a new tool will add, I doubt whether many will be interrested in buying it (I wouldn't be). If only because it's a new tool which (I can only assume) has it's own limitations and peculiarities.And another important thing: timing.Now, although it's still speculation of course :-), FS2004 seems at the end of it's lifecycle with FS2006 being on-the-way. So without statements or assurances about upgrades for FS2006 (price/timing/etc) I would never consider buying such a tool now.Maybe I'm too cynical :-), but I have an open mind to be convinced otherwise ...Regards, Rob

Hi,For me it seems to be almost useless because, afaik, it cannot read LVars.Besides, I have plenty of test gauges created by myself, and also use Ron Freimuth's Jet Test gauges, all pure XML code. Tom

Tom,Is Ron's testgauge somewhere downloadable, or do you have to ask him personally for it?If so, Ron when you read this...Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Jan,Ron and I have been discussing tech issues for the last months. He was kind enough to send me some zip files of his work, which included his useful Jet Test gauges. I don't recall of seeing them posted in any FS Library, rather he could send a copy to anyone that might be interested. But you have to ask him or wait till he reads this topic (something he'll do for sure).Tom

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Tom,>>Is Ron's testgauge somewhere downloadable, or do you have to>ask him personally for it?>If so, Ron when you read this...>>Jan I've sent my B707-320C FD files and my 'Jet Test' test gauge files to several individuals. "Jet Test" shows common and arcane turbine and aerodynamics parameters. Values are displayed in two black windows, there are about 75 values in the left panel alone. ;) The right panel displays some more 'pilot friendly' values, speeds in kts, rather than ft/sec, etc. "Jet Test" displays many of the things AFSD does. Only it updates faster. On the other hand, it requires an 'AC Constants.xml' file for each AC to set some things not available in XML, but available to AFSD. Such as wing area, TBL 430 (Mach Drag), Oswald Efficiency, 'Lift Slope', etc. Not too hard to edit for a specific Jet, but one has to understand the above things a bit. Right now "Jet Test" is in a state of flux, with some non-working or partially working XML code. However, I have a zip archive containing my B707-320C FD files with cleaner XML files and .bmps that will extract from one's FS9 folder into a subfolder of Gauges and Aircraft for the limited set of B707 files. No .mdl. I use the Lear 45 Panel for testing, and have a panel.cfg file included with the xml test gauges added to it. That archive includes the 'B707 Constants.xml' file, which can be copied to a different name and edited to apply to any Jet without too much trouble. Almost all calculations are done in 'Test Base.xml', they are displayed in 'Jet Display.xml' and 'Jet Display 2.xml'. But, the L:Variables could be used or displayed anywhere. "Test Base" got rather complex in places; it Strobes different blocks at 1/2, 1/7, and 1/101 the basic Tick Rate. It contains 'Differentiate and Filter' blocks running at the 18.2/sec tick rate to give pretty good values for 'Vdot' 'p' (roll rate), 'q' (pitch rate), 'r' (Yaw Rate). Also, 'adot' and 'VSdot'. It also calculates Fuel Tank Temperature (using some sun angle xml ripped out of this forum). Various measures of SFC, Specific Range, Specific Endurance, etc. are displayed. Often with arcane engineering names. Due to all the complications, I recommend AFSD be used in most cases. Here is a screen shot of the Left Window taken during one of my Concorde flights: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/130898.jpg Well, some of the parameters should be recognizable. ;) Speeds are usually in ft/sec, not kts. The other window displays in kts. It also displays Flaps deflectons, spoiler deflections, etc. Cd's are in Drag Counts, 10,000 X the actual value. 'Rs^' is 'Specific Range' calculated in a way that it doesn't change during climb/descent. Which is used to display 'current range' in the Right Window (not shown). Anyone who would like my zip archive can email me (check my Info). Add some B707 .mdl and sound to get familiar with it. Then, work it into his Jet. However, it is not easy to understand all the coding, or what some of the displayed parameters mean. Of course, one can edit the Display files to display whatever he wishes. There are many useful calculations in 'Test Base' for things like "ThetaT", "DeltaA", "Sigma.." "EAS", "Energy Height". Calculations that can be ripped off for other use. I also have a simpler "Prop Test". Display lines are in the same file that does calculations; a Constants file is also needed for it. Ron