Sign in to follow this  
Ground-Loop

AirWrench Data Entry

Hi all!I was just busy with the AirWrench tutorial for the PA-28 180 and got as far as bottom of page 8 and got stuck.If I may quote from the tutorial: "The surface areas of the stabilizers should not include the surface area of the elevator or rudder. Some reference books add the elevator and rudder area to the stabilizer areas, so it pays to double check your data." Now, I don't know much about aircraft, but I'm sure that on most of the Cherokee series the entire horizontal stabilizer is also the elevator. How would I handle that type of data entry?The other question that I have refers to the Aileron Parameters under the Maneuverability Tab. Does the Aileron Area refer to the total or just the one wing?Any help with this would be great!Thanks!

Guest Douglas K

You should contact the author of that program for answers to your questions. That person (or persons) could best explain how it translates inputs into data that FS9 can read. As a guess, I'd say that the surface area of a stabilator would need to be split, and treated as a horizontal stabilizer and elevator, I'm not aware of any provision for a stabilator in the game.FS9 calculates total aileron effectiveness from Cl_da in the airfile. That value can be scaled in aircraft.cfg using "aileron_effectiveness", or adjusted directly in the airfile.I'm not sure how AirWrench handles the aileron area, but I do know that FSEdit uses the "aileron_area" in the aircraft_geometry section of aircraft.cfg to calculate Cl_da. This is described in the SDK as the top surface area of all the ailerons on the wing. Perhaps AirWrench does the same.There should be contact info for support somewhere in the docs that came with the program. Send them an email.Douglas