Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

Shifted Flight Controls

Guest craiso

Greeting to all.The A-6 Intruder (my passion) had a "shifted" flight control system, that when the flaps are up you get a much smaller control surface throw. For example with the flaps up the rudder only moves 4 degs and when the flaps are out of the 0 detent, you get 35 degs. I have tried several different thiings in the aircraft .cfg file but no joy. I have also looked through the MS Air Container SDK for any new language that might help, but no joy there aswell. Any suggestions?Many Thanx, Christopher.

As far as I know, only a C/C++ (or maybe XML) code can help you in doing this. It must be handled by a gauge. This is my opinion...Eric

Guest ridgell

you could make a control gauge useing (A:RUDDER POSITION and FLAPS HANDLE INDEXto make a control gauge you are in the wrong SDK. look in the panels SDK events doc for VARS to write to, and Parameters doc, for FS Vars to read. if you dont do gauges i will try and whip one up,if you want,unless one of the many better programers that frequent this site does not post one for you 1st.you could either do a contol limit gauge that resets the rudder if it goes outside a limit qualified by a control variable. or use a control variable to change the amount of incrimentation in the rudder progession.

Guest craiso

Hello again.Thanx for the support. I am not a programmer, and don't have the sofware to make gauges. If someone would like to experiment with it i would be greatfull. The shifted flight controls work the stab and the rudder, so if you have the flaps up you get a much smaller control surface movement. I have the flight manual that I have been using to tweek what peramiters that I can, and can provide all the info to make the plane work correctly.Thank you for your support, Christopher.

Guest ridgell

ok lets start with the plane. i need to download it to see if life is easy--xml gauges, or harder 'c' gauges.etheir way we can try a control gauge, give me the name of the plane, the zip file name would be better and where you got it.

Guest craiso

Hello again.The file is in the Avsim library, a-6ebomb.zip. I have in the past tried to get in touch with Mr. Rick Sasala, which I am very greatfull that he created the plane. I wanted to discuss some other issues about the model. I have incorperated XML gauges into my panel before, infact I redesigned the panel and changed out all the original gauges...for my own use of coarse. The .air and .cfg are all changed aswell. If you need my files let me know.Thanx, Christopher.

Guest craiso

Hello again.I got all the limits for you. I think the easiest route would be to limit the stab and rudder in the flaps up position and leave the flaps down perameters as is.Flaps up, the rudder is limited to 4 DEGS, the stab is limited to 1.5 DEGS leading edge up and 9.5 DEGS leading edge down.The shift mechanism is purely mechanical with cams and cables so there is no need for any other inputs like airspeed, altitude or aoa.There is an emergency feature called spin assist, to where if the plane goes into a flat spin a switch is made and you get the extended throws with the flaps up. There is really no need to simulate this mode, because i have never been able to get the plane into a flat spin. I think this is all you should need, If you need anything else let me know.

Guest craiso

Hello again.Just wondering if you have had any luck with the gauge. I also have a few other minor issues that you might be able to help out with.Thank you, Christopher.

Guest craiso

Greetings all,I have been playing around with editing some XML files tring to get what I need, but no joy. I have read the Panels SDK and a few treads on different forums and just can't seem to get the concept. Any push or shove in the right direction would be appreciated. It might be an impossible task and I envy those who can create such great work that has been put out there. I have had to change some of the perameter limits around to get the plane to fly right, but a basic control gauge that could be easily edited is what I am after.Many thanx, Christopher

I just saw this post.And since a gauge like that is very easy to make, I'll gladly make it for you (for free of course :-) )Is it just the Rudder that should be limited, or also Elevator and Ailerons ??What I need to know: the PERCENTAGE to which each Control surface should be limited when flaps are in retracted position.Eg for Rudder, which normally varies from -100% to + 100%, I assume you want it limited to -15% to +15% (given your example of 4 and 35 degrees).Limitations:This gauge would be limited to control surfaces, that are controlled by an external axis (joystick, pedals). In fact it would not limit the controlsurface, but the axisvalue controlling it.So if it detects that the rudder controller axis is > 15%, it just corrects the axis event with a value of 15%.Disadvantage however of a (any) gauge is, that if the axis is "jittering" (constant, small changes due to electronic instability of your controller hardware/ PC port) or is moving, you will see the visual control surface "flapping" back and forth :-). Because the gauge is constantly "correcing" the controller axis.No cure for that..If you want this gauge, just PM me with you Email adress.Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Guest ridgell

sorry i got sidetracked.if rob is going to help your in the best of hands. i will check back to see if it went well.

Rob,Interested too!Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"