Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

FSDS is very good for beginners!

Hello :-)I've just started with FSDS, and created a very basic plane, even without reading the online Help!! I'm very impressed with FSDS so far ... very easy for beginners like myself!! I had Flightshop, and I couldn't even make a single part with it :-lolDoes anyone else have an opinion about FSDS? I can picture myself spending many hours in front of FSDS! :)

Guest John_Noppe

Any pic? :)I am a gmax designer and actually never opened fsds in my live. I heard its good for beginners.. once you feel like you know fsds completely and know how to design things I would suggest gmax after thatHave fun :)

I won't show you a pic ..... it's too embarassing :-lol

I'm a GMAX designer myself - never touched FSDS - and, although it does have a bit of a steep learning curve, GMAX is a top notch environment for design - can't beat the plethora of options. If you are going to spend time doing aircraft design, I suggest you start with learning the tool you will eventually have to master ;).. and it is NOT all that difficult.And hey - if you learn to master GMAX, you are 70% into mastering Studio 3D MAX - a nice notch for your resume!

P3D SpacePort Team

If you really want good, professional and semi-professional help with FSDS2, then here is where you need to be:http://freeflightdesign.comThere are quite a number of modelers there using FSDS2, ranging from "beginners" to "professional."Of course, there are also a lot of us "GMaxers" there as well.All in good fun!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Lionel Goh

I might turn this into a debate topic :-lolbut, I think FSDS is not the best beginner program. When it comes to the cutting of windows part and other complex shapes, the average beginner would find it difficult if he wants to improve his models even furthur.The only thing wrong with gmax is the lack of a straightforward documentation. (Yes, I know there's some great tutorials(I know they are good) but if you want to model a commercial aircraft, you need lots of different techniques :) )

The recently released Saab 340 that I worked on with Pascal was designed with FSDS 2. Although we didn't have time to add a VC, I think it came out pretty well. I am not saying FSDS 2 is better or worse, but it can create some beautiful aircraft.-John

>The recently released Saab 340 that I worked on with Pascal>was designed with FSDS 2. Although we didn't have time to add>a VC, I think it came out pretty well. I am not saying FSDS 2>is better or worse, but it can create some beautiful>aircraft.Indeed, it most certainly can. One need only look at the Eaglesoft Citation X to see what may well be the "poster child" for FSDS2's capabilities. Then too are the many examples of excellent freeware a/c such as those of Dave Eckert, Dave Harbold, etc.Like GMax, FSDS2 is a TOOL. Like any tool, how well it performs is solely determined by the skill of the artist who uses the tool.On the other hand, I'm more concerned with the things FSDS2 cannot do at all, more than I am what it can do... ;)My personal opinion is that - if one is an absolute beginner - it would be to their advantage to begin with GMax, since it will continue to be the modeling program used by FS for at least the next few versions.

Fr. Bill    

Guest FelixFFDS

>Does anyone else have an opinion about FSDS? I can picture>myself spending many hours in front of FSDS! :)And Macs are better than PCs, but nothing has come forth better than the Commodore Amiga !!! (okay, so I've betrayed my age!)I'm a die hard FSDS fan myself (not that it comes as a surprise to many), but I will admit that gmax is the more *pwerful* modelling program.There are things that FSDS does easier that gmax - not the least of which is getting the darn model into Flight Simulator (getting it to fly properly is a different animal altogether, and something which neither gmax nor FSDS can help yo with).Like Lionel says, cutting holes in parts is not an intuitive thing in FSDS - in gmax you basically "punch" the hole .. on the other hand (Fr. Bill is allowed to chuckle at this point) .. you have to plan your modelling/mesh very carefully ... patience, resolve and determination are hallmarks of FSDS modellers ...All kidding aside, there are fan(atic)s on both sides of the coin. Some people take to gmax like a duck to water, others, well ... However, once you get comfortable with FSDS, be not surprised to learn that some of us deviously port parts proficiently from FSDS, commit certain acts upon them in gmax, and then rapidly return the remains to FSDS to finish dressing them up in the original model.Enjoy the modelling, and remember one thing - to quote Dennis Simanaitis: "All in good fun!"

Guest Lionel Goh

Wanted to add something.I'm not saying FSDS2 doesn't create beautiful aircraft, it does! :)As mentioned, it doesn't matter what program you use to create it, its the final product that counts.My point is that I see lots of people who are in the same situation as you, where they just scale a big bunch of cylinders and think they have done a lot. The truth is that is just the basic(anyone can do that stuff, its the details that count.) and you can't go far stuck with those skills. Gmax in a sense lessens the workload of the modeller by providing some useful tools.I used to think while i was trying to get to sleep or while on the bus about how I could model that certain part, I would visualise the method and try it the next day or when I get back home :)Modelling is very interesting, please continue trying it :)

>I used to think while i was trying to get to sleep or while on>the bus about how I could model that certain part, I would>visualise the method and try it the next day or when I get>back home :)LOL and I thought I was the only one who did that :) scares the **** outa my partner when I jump outa bed at 3ammuttering to myself about preprocess and sld maco's and hidden xml code :DWozza

Thanks for the replies :) My design isn't ready for public consumption ... yet :-lol. The aircraft is HUGE: 438ft long, 406ft span, 138ft height, and six turbofans! I used Chanan Epstein's 737 undercarriage, downloaded from www.freeflightdesign.com. The undercarriage has basic preprocesses :). There are no moving parts yet ...... I will sort that out over the next few months ;)Expect previews in the future :) It will be a cargo or tanker plane!

Guest iholrf

>If you really want good, professional and semi-professional>help with FSDS2, then here is where you need to be:>>http://freeflightdesign.com>>There are quite a number of modelers there using FSDS2,>ranging from "beginners" to "professional.">>Of course, there are also a lot of us "GMaxers" there as>well.>>All in good fun!Mmmm, and a few wackjobs like myself. But we're easily ignored. ;)WRT FSDS, given the current state of GMax, I am seriously considering plopping the money down for it. It may not do everything GMax does, but heck, who uses every feature set of every product, anyway? (No one) Besides, half the things GMax does that some people rave about are not supported by makemdl anyway. And, well, as I am probably the only person who ever sucked this bad at modeling (in GMax or otherwise -- I've seen your work Felix, its miles above mine heheh), it might be welcome to have something that works for idiots like me. :DCheersShad

>My personal opinion is that - if one is an absolute beginner ->it would be to their advantage to begin with GMax, since it>will continue to be the modeling program used by FS for at>least the next few versions.Little did I know that the very day I posted the above paragraph, Autodesk (whom I'd never heard of before, but had discretely bought out Discreet!) announced that they were yanking the plug on GMax permanently... :-hang :-bang *:-*

Fr. Bill