Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Should anyone be flying at 86 years of age...

Also from the eyewitness report, they heard the engine sputtering, so if it was engine failure, it probably wouldn't have made a difference if he was 26 instead of 86.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>Also from the eyewitness report, they heard the engine>sputtering, so if it was engine failure, it probably wouldn't>have made a difference if he was 26 instead of 86. Or it could have made all the difference.

Michael...the "question" makes total sense. Age will definitely be looked at in the investigation, and so the question is posited here for the same analysis.My question remains...should anyone 86 be flying. These are legitimate questions around the topic of driving, so what makes aviation immune from the same scrutiny?bt

If he is still alive-John Miller is still flying at over 100.One of my good friends who got me into flying is still an active cfi at 86 and you would think he was 30 years younger in mental abilities and physical condition. He was a wwII carrier pilot, Korean war jet pilot, and navy instructor and has over 20,000 hours.He had his first plane crash a couple years ago (still in his 80's) when an engine quit on a mile final with a student. In an incredible show of airmanship he put it down in a small patch of land next to the highway during rush hour and both walked out without a scratch.I'd fly with him any day! :-)http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

In Richmond British Columbia, last October, we had an 82 year old pilot fly his Piper Seneca Twin into the ninth floor of an apartment building. He was the only fatality.So perhaps there may be more older pilots out there than one might expect.(Hope they don't put restictions on old virtual pilots!!)Alex Reid

The first question I would have is did he have a valid medical?Second - did he have a real medical, or was his doctor overly generous?Third - was he flying within any limitations on his license?The bottom line - while there are relatively few people that age who are capable of flying safely and competently - putting a blanket restriction upon them because of their age is unfair.Conversely, we could ask the question, is anyone under 25 or 30 mature enough to be flying?

>The first question I would have is did he have a valid>medical?>>Second - did he have a real medical, or was his doctor overly>generous?>>Third - was he flying within any limitations on his license?>>The bottom line - while there are relatively few people that>age who are capable of flying safely and competently - putting>a blanket restriction upon them because of their age is>unfair.>>Conversely, we could ask the question, is anyone under 25 or>30 mature enough to be flying?>The regulations already haved posited answers to that question. The regs show that one must be older than 23 to hold an ATP, 17 to hold a Private and 16 to solo. The same arguments being applied to justify continued operation of machinery by those well past their abilities to do so should also be applied to those on the opposite, younger end of the spectrum. If age should not be any kind of determining factor, then it should not be a determining factor at all and the blanket restrictions of 23, 17 and 16 should be lifted as well. As long as a youngster can pass a medical and pass his flight tests, they should be able to fly at whatever age.

God Bless John Miller...I too hope he is alive!If that is your first statement about John, maybe it reflects on the topic more than you would care to admit?bt

No blanket judgements....just the question.Should an 86 year old be flying. Let's qualify it. Should an 86 year old be flying on a Standard Medical? On a Standard Check Ride? On a 2 year renewal?bt

Hi bt.Yes, there are some over 80 pilots that are very able / capable to fly. I know a number of over 70s that are very capable, and a I know a number of 16-70s that should not attempt it. It

Not really because like all good pilots I think John would be the first to stop flying if he felt anything about him or his health would compromise safety.Since we have not read about him in the news I would suspect that either scenerios have been met.(I seem to recall that at his last medical the doctors pronounced his vitals as someone 30 years younger).http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I know I wouldn't want to ride in an airliner being flown by a pair of 86 year olds. They don't pay airline pilots to fly the plane, they pay them to handle emergencies, and I'm not so sure a couple of those old codgers could handle the stress.Same deal with private pilots. I wouldn't trust my life to the nervous system of an 86 year old pilot, no matter how sharp or healthy they appear. In an emergency, they would be more prone to stroking out, or having a heart attack, ect., than someone 40 years younger. There's a reason that airline pilots are forced to retire at 60.Bunson

Hmmn- I've never had any success at Las Vegas. I wonder if there might be better odds by taking out Life Insurance Policies on 80+ pilots - with me as beneficiary? :)Alex Reid