Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

AVSIM notices - TIME?

Hi folks,Just a little rant here if I may ...Saw the notice on the front page of AVSIM about the server outage. And the reference to EDT !Please, please, please - when is a major player in the virtual aviation world like AVSIM going to learn to use standard time (UTC/ZULU/GMT)so that the many, many readers and visitors from around the world know exactly what time something is going to happen?This business of quoting everything in EDT or EST (which I know is east coast US time and five hours behind UK time and 6 hours behind mainland Europe time and 12 hours behind Hong Kong time and ..... ) is rather archaic when we are all about aviation - which uses and fully understands UTC/ZULU time all the time!Sorry to rant about this, but it is a major pain in the $

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png

Guest j-mo

I've always wondered how difficult it would be to display GMT on the front page. While many here may be accustomed to converting to their local time, many may not. Could be convenient for them.

Why rant? Why not just ask? We're all friends here - no offence meant. :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Probably a good idea-but I think right now est is 4 hours behind gmt-not 5.Which is always confusing to me considering daylight savings time in the Us and then converting to 24 hours time vs. 12. I always ask my briefer to confirm my zulu time to make sure on my flight plan in case I screwed up-perhaps why avsim just sticks with a known?! :-)http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>Probably a good idea-but I think right now est is 4 hours>behind gmt-not 5.That's EDT is GMT -4, EST is always GMT -5. ;-)So, I think making GMT standard might indeed be easier. :)

BobK

Guest jbinner

well for one, I posted EST (because it's summer time right now on the East Coast, GMT -4). I posted it because the server is physically located IN that time zone. So I posted the messages LOCAL to the server. It was also local to the techs and myself that were working on it. Thus the reason for it being EST. Actually even I had it wrong, should be EDT this time of year, for daylight savings time.Anyway, long story short, it was done because I needed to keep techs and myself on the same wavelength while at the same time relaying to the rest of the world. Some of the techs working on this are not into aviation, so I had to keep it local. :)

Hello John,>>well for one, I posted EST (because it's summer time right now on the East Coast, GMT -4). I posted it because the server is physically located IN that time zone. So I posted the messages LOCAL to the server. It was also local to the techs and myself that were working on it. Thus the reason for it being EST. Actually even I had it wrong, should be EDT this time of year, for daylight savings time.Anyway, long story short, it was done because I needed to keep techs and myself on the same wavelength while at the same time relaying to the rest of the world. Some of the techs working on this are not into aviation, so I had to keep it local. :) <

Lee James

spacer.png

Paul,>>Fair point. How about displaying the time in both formats? I have no idea what EDT means either.<

Lee James

spacer.png

This would indeed be a marvelous implementation.Thanks for bringing this up Lee.Perhaps the Avsim managers could implement something that would make life easier for all of us.KISS ( Keep Implementing Simple Solutions )