Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Flight path from New York to Beijing

Guest lucho_

I was reading about a non-stop Continental flight from New York to Beijing. I was wondering, what's the route that these flights take? It looks so far away.Is there a webpage that can show me a map of these kinds of routes, or does anyone know the path they take?Thanks very much.

A flight like this would generally follow the "Great Circle" route near/over the North Pole. I say "generally" since winds, restricted airspace enroute, and other factors might cause a deviation from the Great Circle Route. I flew to Tokyo from SFO some years ago, and even that flight path took us as far north as the Aleutian Islands, which I was able to look down on during one of the few breaks we had in the weather enroute.Since you just joined the forums, and the forums are dedicated to simming, you might want to try the flight yourself using the GPS (slaved to the autopilot) to guide you. You will get a fair idea of what route is followed.Regards,John

Here's the route filed today for COA89, KEWR - ZBAAGREKI V419 JUDDS CAM PLB YUL 5000N 07500W 5500N 07700W 6000N 08000W 6500N 08300W 7000N 08800W 7500N 09700W 8000N 11500W 8100N 14100W NIKIN G226 TAKUN G226 UEEE G495 KU G496 NAREM B161 SULOK G218 POLHO G218 TMR B458 TZH A596 KM OB

BobK

Guest fullstoplanding

A similar question was asked on June 1. Scroll down on this same forum until you reach: "Heathrow-Los angeles Flight paths?" The discussion is about flying Great Circle routes. Welcome to the Forums and good luck :-)--Roger

Guest lucho_

Thanks so much for all the help. I'll try this flight in FSX as suggested to see how it goes.Thanks again.

Guest tatest

I had a link for a Great Circle mapper, but it must be in the bookmarks of a browser on another computer. I'll look around for it. You can plot these routes on the flight planner in Flight Simulator, but they look real strange on the map projection used (Plate Carre).The Great Circle from the New York area to Beijing goes west over Canada, not quite to the north pole, over Russian airspace. The Great Circle route is about 5900 NM. A "worst case" route far enough south to avoid Russian and North Korean airspace would be about 6800 NM.When I first moved to Beijing, Northwest was running a nonstop out of Detroit on a transpolar over Russia when they would allow it (about 5720 NM). Each transpolar flight needed specific clearance, the Russians didn't always allow it. Most of my trips back and forth were non-stop out of O'Hare. 5700 NM Great Circle, about 6200 NM avoiding Russian and North Korean airspace. The actual distance is somewhere in between because we could usually fly over Russia but not always using the shortest route. My frequent flyer miles always got credited for the 5700.

Guest Shalomar

How would I go about getting that plan into the FSX world? My ATR-72 is the only aircaft I have with an FMC and it won't make it...Is there a freeware program that lets you type waypoints and converts then into an FSX plan?Best Regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.