Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JonRD463

GAO sides with Boeing in tanker contract dispute

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The thing that surprised me was how badly the GAO report claims the air force mucked up the process itself. I was upset about this deal, simply because it didn't go to boeing. Now I'm equally mad about how the air force handled the whole bidding process. Not their finest performance!Bunson

>I am really, really surprised. I did not expect this. But>another competition between the same players - where can it>possibly lead? >>Michael J.>http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpgI was surprised, but not really, really surprised. Think about it, the Air Force has still shown bias against Boeing ever since the Darleen Druyen scandal, even though fines and jail time have been paid already. They bent over backwards to invite Airbus and changed the specifications midstream to accomodate the A330. While at the same time they kept telling Boeing and the press that they were not looking for bigger. Then they award it to NOC saying it was better because it was bigger. To me, it just smelled wrong, assuming that the competition would have been fair and having followed it, that all of a sudden, Airbus won when all the other signs were pointing towards Boeing. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that McCain's people had made phone calls to Payton before the decision.

>>I am really, really surprised. I did not expect this. But another competition between the same players - where can it possibly lead?>>most probably a new RFP from the AF, an a re-do of the competition...with the loser again filing a protest probably...remember tough, the GAO's upholding of Boeing's protest doesn't mean they concluded the KC767 is the best offer, it only means there where some flaws in the sellection process, the A330 based tanker could still win round 2.-Sander

Management has stated repeatedly that if the Air Force wanted a bigger plane, we could have offered up the 777 airframe, no problem. It's just that, as was already stated, the Air Force altered the RFP in ways that mysteriously fit the A330 almost perfectly.Believe me, the day before the announcement about who won the bid back in February, the buzz around work was that we had it. The next day.... CRASH. We all felt like we were in an episode of the Twilight Zone.