Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

MSCV++ .NET 2003 Setup Tutorial

For those who're interested, I've posted a MSCV++ .NET 2003 Setup Tutorial on the 'other' FS website in the new "Panel & Gauge Design" forum.I've also posted the first installment of a new tutorial on converting single gauges to mult-gauge format for those who might find this information useful.BTW, in case anyone might wonder "Why another Panel & Gauge forum?"...This forum seems to be (mostly) about XML gauge development, which is terrific! But, it makes it somewhat more difficult for those who're "into C" to find information quickly. ;)BTW, I would welcome anyone who wishes to author a tutorial or provide useful 'hints and tips' to do so. By no stretch of the imagination am I anywhere near expert enough to provide all the content! *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,Last week I followed a course "C# programming for .Net"Now, which would be MY base-forum ?? :-)Cheers, Rob

I'd be willing to bet the farm that there's a news group set up specifically for C# folks! ;)

Fr. Bill    

bump!

Fr. Bill    

I followed the instructions but still get a link error just at the end - this is when I try to compile things from the 2004 SDK.Also, would you recommend easy gauge as a "training wheel" to get used to things?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>I followed the instructions but still get a link error just>at the end - this is when I try to compile things from the>2004 SDK.>>Also, would you recommend easy gauge as a "training wheel" to>get used to things?What is the specific link error? I have the entire "Sample" gauge project set up for MSVC++ .NET 2003 so I know that it works... ;)Unless you buy the "Programmer's Edition" of Easy Gauge you won't be able to see the raw C source code (since it is deleted after compiling in the less expensive edition).I can say that for myself it was a big help, as I had absolutely no prior experience with the C language. When I majored in CS at the university, my primary languages were COBOL, SNOBOL, Fortran IV, assembly, LISP, BASIC and RPG (the latter really isn't a language at all).I still use EG to quickly prototype a gauge, because I can quickly set up the bitmap elements, set up mouse areas, and get the "bare bones" of structure prepared.I don't regret purchasing EG Programmer's Edition, but I still maintain that Marcel and his brother would have sold 100 times more of their EG had the price been made more reasonable...Where EG might make learning the "art of gauge programming" easier is that it does set up a well-structured gauge project, that is easily and quickly "convertable" to a multi-gauge cluster. I actually wrote the tutorial to help my fellow Eaglesoft gauge programmer learn how to migrate his EG gauges to MSVC++ and merge them into a single, multi-gauge cluster. ;)

Fr. Bill    

Hey Bill,Thanks, can't get to my development machine right now as I am away from home - I'll post the linker error here.Thanks for the words about easy gauge, I think I'll go ahead and spring for the $$$ to get the programmer's edition. I agree that sometimes a great guide really helps and it sounds like the program serves as a guide.Thanks again for your patience and guidance,J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.