Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

Wing view help

Guest Cameron

Hi all,So I make a plane in gmax, export it, and it's working smoothly. One thing, no 3D wing view from in plane. So, with this in mind, how do I do it?I understand the grouping of making object interior and exterior, but if I group the wings as interior, will they still show exterior as well?Is there a tutorial or easy step guide to doing this?

Guest Mathias

You can define the whole plane as inside and outside if the poly count ins't too far over the top. Then you can see EVERYTHING no matter in which view. But I think you have to copy the whole model first and uplicate it to ensure both interior and exterior model are exported as you wish. They seem to be kept as separate models in the mdl file even though they can be identical.

Guest Cameron

So, you're saying copy the wings, name one exterior with the fuse, and place the other in the same identical spot as the others and name it interior?

You could use MDLCommander and MiddleMan which sit between between GMax and MakeMdl. They can automatically create the interior model from the exterior one. They are both free downloads. I can't remember where i got them from but Google should find them.

>Hi all,>So I make a plane in gmax, export it, and it's working>smoothly. One thing, no 3D wing view from in plane. So, with>this in mind, how do I do it?>>I understand the grouping of making object interior and>exterior, but if I group the wings as interior, will they>still show exterior as well?The casual use of the term "grouping" gives me hives... You see, "grouping" can be dangerous, since at some point in time you're going to want to "ungroup..." "Ungrouping" can - more often than not - introduce a rather nasty OBED Scaling Error into your .gmax model file.Better to use the "new and approved" method of heiarchy nodes:exterior....all exterior partsinterior....all interior partsFor the interior, it is as simply as Selecting all "exterior parts" and then "Cloning" them. Hide the original selection by clicking on Invert Selection, then carefully Link all the cloned parts to the "interior node."After this is done, then you may selectively delete any parts from the interior model that will NEVER be seen from "inside the aircraft," i.e., VC View...Further simplification of the remaining parts may now be done to delete POLYGONS that will NEVER be seen from "inside the aircraft." ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Mathias

Thanks Bill for taking the unbearable load off my shoulders, as I only know that this works in gmax because a friend of mine did it for me, I myself will never learn the black witchcraft of gmax, gmax and me don't go together well at all... :)