Sign in to follow this  
Guest jbarquin

Problem exporting textures from 3ds Max to FS9

Guest jbarquin

I have been attempting to export a model from 3ds Max to Microsoft Flight Simulator. The model exports just fine, but I can't get any texture maps (i.e., bmps) to export in a way that they're visible in Flight simulator. Here's what I've tried so far:In Max, I use 24 bit bmp maps, and apply them with a UV Map modifier.I convert the 24 bit bmp maps to 8 bit maps (I've tried this through Photoshop as well as through Imagetool, the Microsoft program that's supposedly can handle the conversion and export of textures to FlightSim). I've followed Microsoft's naming convention for materials (name and _T suffix).I've placed the 8 bit texture in the texture folder of Flightsim.The closest I've managed to get is model parts tinted with a color from the bmp image, but not showing the bitmap the way it appears in Max.I've been pulling my hair out now for several days, looking for resources on the web etc, that mught provide a solution, but have not been able to come upon anything that works (or, at leats, that I can comprehend).If anyone has any thoughts/suggestion on this, I'd really be very appreciative.Thanks.

Guest FelixFFDS

>>I've placed the 8 bit texture in the texture folder of>Flightsim.>Dumb question, but I'm taking you r post literally; are you referring to the Flight Simulator texture folder: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Textureor the aircraft's texture folder?C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Aircraftbeech_king_air_350Texture????Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Make sure the textures are saved as 888-1 or DTX3 format...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jbarquin

Felix, thanks for the reply. I'm referring to the aircraft's texture folder.

Guest jbarquin

Bill, thanks for the tip. I've tried DTX3 format (not sure what 888-1 is), but no difference in outcome. Oddly enough, if I apply a texture, a base color (e.g., if the texture background is blue or brown) comes through, but no details....this is really quite frustrating!

>Bill, thanks for the tip. I've tried DTX3 format (not sure>what 888-1 is), but no difference in outcome. >>Oddly enough, if I apply a texture, a base color (e.g., if the>texture background is blue or brown) comes through, but no>details....this is really quite frustrating!Which channel in the Material Editor are you using for the texture? "Diffuse Color," I hope...

Fr. Bill    

Guest jbarquin

Yep, diffuse color.For what it's worth, I'll try recount what I'm doing:I apply a texture using the diffuse color channel in material editor. This texture is formatted for 3ds Max (e.g., 24 channel bitmap).I adjust the texture by applying a UV Map modifier to the model. I go to Imagetool and export a copy of the bitmap to the appropriate aircraft texture folder in FS9. This exported bitmap I'm saving as an 8 channel bitmap, a 32 channel bitmap, a DTX1 file, a DTX3 file, etc.---I've tried a number of variations, just to see if one will work.I export the 3ds Max model as an .X file. Then I use MakeMDL to convert the X file into an mdl. The mdl file looks fine in FS9, except that it doesn't have textures.I keep thinking I'm missing something basic--but what?Hope you can figure this out!

Guest dongmo

Hello,may i ask you which version of 3ds max you are using? do you also use panda x files exporter to build your x files? I'm asking those questions because using 3dsmax 7 and the latest pandasoft x files exporter, i was unable to build a makemdl compatible x file and i now have to build a script and execute it in gmax, then, i have to rescale everything and do all the animations again, and the process is alot time consuming. Can you please share your method with me?ThanksHerv

Guest jbarquin

Herve--Sorry to hear about your troubles! I'm using 3ds Max v6, service pack 1. I'm using Panda DirectX exporter v.4.6.0.57 (which is the one for Max v6). I saw on the Pandasoft website that they have an updated exporter for Max 7, and I even think they've released a fix for some problems the exporter had.As I don't use Max7, I can't be of much help. Based on my experience, though, I'd suggest you check the settings on the DirectX exporter. I had a lot of problem exporting a model through MakeMdl, and had to play with different settings in the DirectX exporter as well as in MakeMdl. I found the pictures on the images pages of the pandasoft website helpful in this regard.Perhaps you can post a screen shot of your directx and Makemdl settings so that I (or someone better informed) can verify them?Bon chance!

>I keep thinking I'm missing something basic--but what?>>Hope you can figure this out!It sounds like you may be having an export problem... Open your .x file in wordpad, and make sure that the texture names are being exported...

Fr. Bill    

Guest dongmo

Thanks my friend. I will check the pandasoft site and my exporter parameters. I also based my settings on the pictures posted at pandasoft site.Best Regards

Guest jbarquin

Bill--Thanks for the reply. I actually posted (unfortunately in a seperate item) that I'd figured out my problem--I hadn't been hitting the uvw coordinates option when I exported from Max. Thanks (to yuo and every one else who responded) for all the advice--it's nice to know there's a real support network out there. Hope I can return the favor sometime.