Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSDS3 losing night textures

Guest dnunez

Hi alljust got FSDS3 - nice bit of code!I have compiled one of my old 2.24 models on it, and it worls great, but I am losing all the textures on the model at nighttime in the sim (with the exception of one part which is textured with night time textures - _LM).I am not using lightmaps, just plain diffuse textures. I do not have the problem if I build a new model inside FSDS3 from scratch (a plain textured FSDS3 tube, textured with one of the textures from my old model still keeps everything fine at night).My textures have non-special names (so fuselage.bmp, as opposed to fuselage_T.bmp). I dont think this is the problem, as a plain tube textured with the exact same file works fine.Any ideas?

Only thing I would try is to go to "manage texture list", delete, then re-add the textures. Don't do it with all of them, just the ones most visible (fuse, wing). That will at least give some hint as to whether the problem is in the texture list or the part assignments. Hopefully, it's the former.Can you tell me if the models generated will display in FS2002? Any issues with animations? Also, I am curious if the mdl size is smaller than the FSDS 2 counterpart. Last dumb question--how big a download is the program?-John

As a point of clarification here:_LM extension is used for scenery only!_L extension is the correct one to use for aircraft... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I thought I'd download FSDS 3 and give it a try, but I'll have to wait before I can help you. I guess I am spoiled by Flight1, Eaglesoft and other online businesses that provide 24x7 automated online order processing. After ordering FSDS 3, I received a confirmation email stating:"During our normal working hours (Monday thru Friday between 9AM and 4PM U.S. Eastern Time Zone), we will send your personalized Registration Key by return email within 24 hours. For Gold Collection and Electronic Edition products, we will also send you download instructions with your Registration Key."IOTW, I paid today, and have to wait until sometime tomorrow to receive product. Essentially it means for me, with my work schedule, that I will have to wait until next weekend to use the product. IMHO if a business accepts a credit card 24x7, they should process online orders 24x7.I will let you know how things work out--I have several projects that I plan to process with FSDS 3--when I actually have it to use, that is :)-John

>I thought I'd download FSDS 3 and give it a try, but I'll>have to wait before I can help you. I guess I am spoiled by>Flight1, Eaglesoft and other online businesses that provide>24x7 automated online order processing. After ordering FSDS>3, I received a confirmation email stating:>>"During our normal working hours (Monday thru Friday between>9AM and 4PM U.S. Eastern Time Zone), we will send your>personalized Registration Key by return email within 24 hours.>For Gold Collection and Electronic Edition products, we will>also send you download instructions with your Registration>Key.">>IOTW, I paid today, and have to wait until sometime tomorrow>to receive product. Essentially it means for me, with my work>schedule, that I will have to wait until next weekend to use>the product. IMHO if a business accepts a credit card 24x7,>they should process online orders 24x7.>>I will let you know how things work out--I have several>projects that I plan to process with FSDS 3--when I actually>have it to use, that is :)>>-JohnDon't get me started on my frustration with this over the weekend. It took me until late in the evening on saturday to get mine.the download is about 23mb.I am having fun with it so far.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

At least I have the download now--although I had to wait, Abacus did deliver the project first thing this AM, as soon as they were open for business. I will load it up tonight and try converting some of my smaller projects and keep the group posted. I am most anxious to revamp my very first FSDS project--a Rans Microlight spinoff that used an alpha mask for transparent windows. I'm going to try learning the boolean features vs. the Rans project as I figure it will be a good learning experience.-John

Guest dnunez

Hey BillFantastic insight - I removed the N (_LM property)tag from all the textures and presto, it worked :7 ! (when compiling models with FSDS2, this did actually work for aircraft). I must bow down to your experience. Thanks a bundle!The only remaining problem is that I am missing the dynamic textures in my VC (prefixed by $) under all conditions (day night etc) - am working on that! Even though there are teething problems for me, I can still strongly recommend FSDS3.

>Hey Bill>>Fantastic insight - I removed the N (_LM property)tag from all>the textures and presto, it worked :7 ! (when compiling models>with FSDS2, this did actually work for aircraft). I must bow>down to your experience. Thanks a bundle!When I met with Louis last October regarding FSDS3, I beat him over the head with a rolled up copy of the SDK until he got the point... ;)>The only remaining problem is that I am missing the dynamic>textures in my VC (prefixed by $) under all conditions (day>night etc) - am working on that! Don't overlook the fabulous folks at http://freeflightdesign.com... There's a wealth of FSDS'ers who hang out there! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator