Sign in to follow this  

Assigning Panel Icons to open or Close

Guest Thomas Gray

I am new to panel design, and am trying to figure out how to get the panel switch icons to properly work. Like the ones for opening, and closing things like the GPS, ATC, Throttle's, ect...ect... Is ther a tutorial anywhere on where i can learn this, or can someone point me in the correct direction on how to accomplish this ? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. This issue is giving me a brain tumor the size the Texas....LOL

>I am new to panel design, and am trying to figure out how to>get the panel switch icons to properly work. Like the ones for>opening, and closing things like the GPS, ATC, Throttle's,>ect...ect...> Is ther a tutorial anywhere on where i can learn this, or>can someone point me in the correct direction on how to>accomplish this ? Any help you can offer would be greatly>appreciated. This issue is giving me a brain tumor the size>the Texas....LOL It's pretty easy to do with XML. I suggest you unzip a fewCAB folders from your gauges folder and have a look at someof the coding...just use Notepad to open the XML files.Often it's just a simple matter of specifying a predefinedevent to occur when the mouse is clicked on an area, usually the icon bitmap. Here's a sample for toggling the MAP window:You can also cause various windows to open/close by refferingto them by their ID. Here's and example of XML code to togglean IFR sub-panel window in my L188 panel.175 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)Display/Hide IFR PanelIn the panel.cfg file I define the IFR window and assign itan ID of 175. The above code toggles the window with an IDof 175. Some windows ID's are pre-defined. I forget now where I saw those listed, but as long as no other window in a givenpanel has the same ID you can pretty much choose whatever you wish.As I say, dig around and experiment. You'll learn alot inthe process :)Oh, and there is a "standard set" of icons to do the thingsyou mentioned. Look for the "SimIcons.cab" file in your "gauges"folder...unzip it and inspect the xml stuff. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

One of the beautiful things about XML is that you have the ability to look at a completed gauge to see how someone did something. This is how I have learned most of what I know about XML gauge coding.Of course for the unscrupulous, it also creates an opportunity for someone to copy code and claim it as their own. I code in several languages and find the coding community to be a very generous body. There are entire websites devoted to sharing source code in various languages and Nick Pike has started such a site for XML gauges http://www.fs2x.comCheers!Paul