Sign in to follow this  
Guest FelixFFDS

Landing Lights and FSDS3

Guest pecrowther

How do you create landing lights in FSDS3?In FSDS2, I used pre-processing which made the lights visible only when the landing light is on. It worked fine.However, FSDS3 says that is "illegal" in FS2004 (am I going to jail?) and that you can't use pre-processing for aircraft parts.What is the "legal" way to do this in FS2004?Thanks,Phil

HiWe are working on replaceing most of the preprocesss with xml code.The main problem is ppl have to edit their makemdl.parts.xml file and this can cause problems for ppl who are not comfy with this and we have to test em all:).If you have a look over at http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...;num=1134565324you will find some example code.Whilst there have a look in the xml parts area there are some kool snippers of code CheersWozza

Guest FelixFFDS

In the "General" the thread is "unlink vc panel light from landing light?"Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest pecrowther

You would think that merely naming the part "light_land" would be enough of a clue to tell the compiler that the part is a landing light. But, instead, we also had to create a pre-process that says "landing light switch on". And now it's even more complicated?Arrrgh!Phil

Hokayhere we go :) Open in notepad the makemdl.parts.xml file located in the folder makemdl is in (BACK IT UP FIRST)scroll down to the very bottom and you will see thisnow the code for "landing lights on" is this Light_land_on (A:LIGHT LANDING,number) 11 add this to the bottom of your makemdl.parts.xml just above the line,have a look at how the rest of the file is formatted youll get the idea:) now make a poly with its z axis facing the direction you want the light beam.Next name it light_land_on (same tag thats in tags above in the xml code.now apply a matrial to the poly,You have to call the matrial LIGHT_LAND(pretty sure its case senitive,have a look at the makemdl.doc file for the other light material names) give it a diffuse color that you want the light to be (dont worry about emmisive leave it 000)compile ya model,if the Gods of 3d modeling are smiling,you should have switchable landing lights :) CheersWozza

Guest pecrowther

Works great!My sanity is saved for one more day.I wonder why Microsoft didn't include that code in the xml. And the tip about putting the color in the diffuse was also a life-saver.Thanks,Phil

Hi Phil Np Um Im not even sure ya need the xml code to switch on the landing lights Im thinking that the material might just respond to the default landing light switch.Never tested it that way,I always take the long road,so it would serve me right if it was that easy :)anyway we ned to learn how the parts.xml file and code works so good practiceWozza

PMSL Yep ya dont need the xml code the material responds to the lighting switch LOL wozza slaps head remember KISS DOH!Oh well it wil give the G-maxers a belly laugh

>Works great!>My sanity is saved for one more day.>I wonder why Microsoft didn't include that code in the xml. >And the tip about putting the color in the diffuse was also a>life-saver.I feel partly responsible for perhaps inadvertently causing some confusion on this issue, since the particular thread pointed to at http://freeflightdesign.com actually is describing an "advanced technique" for light control that goes way beyond what is strictly necessary for "normal SDK operations." :9Lemme give you folks a good hint... READ the SDK... ;)Most particularly page 9 of the "gmaxAircraftCreation.doc" where Special Material Names" are described. Take note that the only thing strictly necessary is that the Material be named according to this scheme. The sim will automatically respond as indicated below whenever this name is encountered:LINE_ = Lines are drawn instead of triangles.ZBIAS_ = A default z-bias is added to the polygons.ZBIAS_## = A z-bias of ## is added to the polygons.DS_ = Polygons are drawn double sided.BRIGHT_ = The material is bright (emits light).LIGHT_BEACON = A beacon point light is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_STROBE = A strobe point light is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_RECO = A recognition point light is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_WING = A wing point light is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_LOGO = A logo point light is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_NAV = A navigation point light is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_TAXI = A taxi spotlight is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.LIGHT_LAND = A landing spotlight is drawn and the diffuse color is the light color.:9 :9

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest pecrowther

So is FSDS3 now better at handling textures than GMax?I used GMax to create hardened surfaces, but never did figure out how to do anything more than the most basic texturing. And I keep hearing horror stories about texturing and GMax.But maybe that is just to scare people like me from dabbling in GMax.Phil

Guest FelixFFDS

>So is FSDS3 now better at handling textures than GMax?In my opinion, it's apples and oranges. In the hands of artists, you'll never note the difference in the finished model. Since gmax is the more powerful modelling program, you have more control over texturing.>I used GMax to create hardened surfaces, but never did figure>out how to do anything more than the most basic texturing. >And I keep hearing horror stories about texturing and GMax.>But maybe that is just to scare people like me from dabbling>in GMax.>PhilIF I follow a tutorial, I can do the basic texturing of an object. Again, my troubles are self-caused - I haven't given gmax the dedicated attention.