Sign in to follow this  
Guest GEEWNZ

??Should Fuse/Wings be 1 piece or 3??

Guest GEEWNZ

Hi guys.I've been fiddling about with g-max for around a year now but keep stumbling on basic modelling techniques to give a good visual result.I've attached a screen capture of the model I'm working on at the moment. My question is, which is the suggested best method for creating the wings? The method I have employed is to create seperate spline profiles and shape merge them to both sides, then extrude the resulting polygons to form the wings. I then used the boolean cut method to cut out and form the ailerons.In creating the tail surfaces, however, I did these as separate objects and left them "floating " in position without attaching to the fuselage in any way. I also used this second method for creating the main wheel fairing, although I did then attach it to the fuselage, but have not welded any vertices between the fairing and the fuse.Now, I'm not happy with the way the wing fairs into the fuselage. Also the boolean method for cutting the control surfaces gave very unpredictable results and made for a very long job in tidying up, it's not yet right.Finally, I've applied NURMS with 2 iterations to the poly model as it's seen here, but by the looks of the various models I've downloaded and been able to examine it looks like NURMS is not generally used.Any comments anyone can offer that may improve my techniques or simplify the process while yielding better results would be appreciated.Thanks & regards,Grant W.

Guest GEEWNZ

Thanks Danny for your comments.If I understand you correctly, you're advocating creating seperate peices, then "Attaching"them then using the Fuse command to join vertices??I've included another screen capture showing the edged frame, this time with Nurms switched off. GuessYou can hide a multitude of sins with Nurms/Smoothing huh. LOLAs stated previously, this is in essence one object, creating the wings by merging the aerofoil shape to the fuse, then extruding the resultant polygons. But as you can see, this messed up the fuse around the fairings, and so far I've been unable to tidy it up to my satisfaction.Thanks again.Grant.

Guest GEEWNZ

Thank you Danny.I'll go back to the drawing board and see what I can achieve with your advise.Grant.