Sign in to follow this  
Guest drdon

2D Panel "Bands"

Guest drdon

Hi,I have what I think is a software problem and not a hardware problem and sure could use some help with it. I fly FS2002 PRO under Windows XP SP2.My problem is that when I make my 2D panel file (in either Adobe Elements, Corel Photo-Paint 9 or Corel Draw 9 and use any kind of gradient fill I subsequently get "banding" in the areas that have the fill. This banding only occurs in the FS2002 2D panel screen. I have attached some JPG files showing the virgin 2D panel file and a screen capture of the panel as produced by FS2002 that has the "banding" in the lower left corner. I am unable to produce the 2D panels that I would like unless someone can tell me if they have ever seen this problem and if it is solvable.ThanksDon Halcom

Guest drdon

Hi again,Sorry but both attachments did not come through and I am attaching the second picture to this reply. I finally got it attached to the first message after finding out that the second JPG file was too big. I am not use to these forums.Don Halcom

Guest iagman

I'm not familiar with your software but am sure it has similar features as describe below.I think banding results from transforming an originally smooth gradient into a bitmap with reduced colors, say 256.There are two ways to remove banding. Both may not work on a given application.1. Select the area with banding. Apply 3-5 percent of Gaussian noise. The noise pixels will often break up the bandings and produce a smoother appearance.2. This is the likely method to use for MSFS using a final bitmap with 256 colors. Select the area with banding. Apply 50-75 percent motion blur at an angle 90-degrees to the banding.Both methods may require experimenting with the values given.The image at the link below shows the left half of a graphic with banding. The right half was identical until motion blur was applied.Glennhttp://inlayartglass.com/Gradient.bmp

Guest drdon

ThanksI have been using 24 and 32 bit panel bmps and there is still banding but I will try your other suggestions. Thanks again.drdon

Guest drdon

I did what "iagman" suggested and it worked perfectly. In my case I did the following with Corel Draw 9.1) Used linear fills on my desired objects to get shading desired.2) Converted the linear filled vector objects to bitmaps (you can do this in Corel Draw). These objects as is will produce serious banding in FS2002.3) Used bitmaps effects to add noise to the previously linear filled objects. What worked best for me was the following settings: Uniform Noise Type, Level=4, Density=90, Intensity Color ModeNow I have absolute no banding in FS2002.Thanks again "iagman", you saved my sanity.drdon