Sign in to follow this  
Guest ekkaihla

iFly747 ground steering

Hi all,I'm having some difficulty ground steering the iFly 747-400. Anything above 30kts and it's impossible to change direction using my rudder.I have a USB CH Pro Throttle, Pedals and Yoke calibrated via FSUIPC. I don't use the supplied panel as I have Project Magenta Boeing Glass Cockpit. Don't think any of this is a factor.My other aircraft is a PMDG737-700 and I'm wondering if I just need to adapt to the larger aircraft but it can't be right that I can't steer during the take-off roll.I'm no expert on aircraft design but comparing the entries in the AIRCRAFT.CFG the Rudder_Trim_Effectiveness entry for both aircraft is 1.000 so that seems okay.However, the iFly CFG has a GROUND_REACTION section with a single entry MAX-STEERING_ANGLE=70. Could that be responsible and if so how could I change it to improve ground steering?Thanks for any help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi all,>>I'm having some difficulty ground steering the iFly 747-400.>Anything above 30kts and it's impossible to change direction>using my rudder.>>>I'm no expert on aircraft design but comparing the entries in>the AIRCRAFT.CFG the Rudder_Trim_Effectiveness entry for both>aircraft is 1.000 so that seems okay.>>However, the iFly CFG has a GROUND_REACTION section with a>single entry MAX-STEERING_ANGLE=70. Could that be responsible>and if so how could I change it to improve ground steering? Way too high. Try 30 (degrees). The iFly747 has a complex panel, FMS, etc. Unfortunately the AIR file was done with FSEdit, then modified a bit. Ron

Hi Ron,Many thanks for your help. It's a bit late here to try another flight but I've made the change you suggested and will try it out tomorrow.I don't use their FMS or panel but I have to admire their effort and skill for a freeware project.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi again Ron,I made the change but it appears to have made no difference. If you have that aircraft could you suggest something else that might make it a bit more responsive to changes of rudder please? It's such a nice aircraft to fly it seems a shame that ground steering is making life difficult.I suppose an email to the developers is in order but I thought I'd try here first.Failing that can anyone suggest a better freeware model?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi again Ron,>>I made the change but it appears to have made no difference.>If you have that aircraft could you suggest something else>that might make it a bit more responsive to changes of rudder>please? It's such a nice aircraft to fly it seems a shame that>ground steering is making life difficult. You might try the steering angles in the MS 747-400 aircraft.cfg: . Steering point.0 = 1, -25.0, 0.0, -17.5, 1000.0, 0, 2.0, 70.0, 0.5, 3.5,..point.1 = 1, -114.0, -18.0, -21.3, 2000.0, 1, 2.0, 13.0, 3.0, 2.5,..point.2 = 1, -114.0, 18.0, -21.3, 2000.0, 2, 2.0, 13.0, 3.0, 2.5,... Only, set that '70.0' a lot lower. Note the MG also turn. The iFly FD settings are a mess. Based in FSEdit. There is no LG drag. I think the CG is way off, that would also mess up ground steering. Likely there will be improved files after it's been out a while. Ron

Hi Ron,I made the changes you suggested adding the above section to the iFly747 aircraft.cfg. I changed the value of 70 in the point.0 line to 30.Ground steering is much improved and I can also steer during the t/o roll. Just one question. What do you mean by "the MG also turn"? Main gear perhaps?Thanks very much :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi Ron,>>I made the changes you suggested adding the above section to>the iFly747 aircraft.cfg. I changed the value of 70 in the>point.0 line to 30. That other line with '70' in it was for an older version of FS. The 'contact points' take precidence. I never set over 35 deg, even though one can't turn tightly, real Jet Transports only steer by +/- 5 deg or so though the rudder pedals. I use F11/F12 if necessary to steer more sharply on the ground.>Ground steering is much improved and I can also steer during>the t/o roll. Just one question. What do you mean by "the MG>also turn"? Main gear perhaps? Yes. However, with the NG dropped to 30 deg, the 13 degree steering for the MG might better be reduced in proportion. Regardless, I use the MS 747 MG settings, but with the NG reduced and it appears fine. Ron

>I never set over 35 deg, even though one can't turn tightly, real >Jet Transports only steer by +/- 5 deg or so though the rudder >pedals.It seems weird to me that Ray cannot steer the a/c at t/o roll with NG contact points' turn section of 70. Shouldn't be the other way, the nose to swing abruptly as sharp rudder pedal is applied?In my 757 I use 65 (max nose steer angle), but I programmed a steer tiller that commands the nose that wide, and limit rudder action to +/- 6 deg. At low speeds, I can do tight turns using the tiller (like in the real a/c) but at speeds of more than 50-60 KIAS, I have good rudder control (like the real a/c also) Tom

Guest Ron Freimuth

>>I never set over 35 deg, even though one can't turn tightly,>real >Jet Transports only steer by +/- 5 deg or so though the>rudder >pedals.>>It seems weird to me that Ray cannot steer the a/c at t/o roll>with NG contact points' turn section of 70. Shouldn't be the>other way, the nose to swing abruptly as sharp rudder pedal is>applied? The nose wheel may be skidding. FS does a pretty good job modeling LG and tire contact. Other than for too much rolling friction, and a tendency to jitter in light AC. I checked the iFly aircraft.cfg file and TO CG appeared to be just a bit ahead of the Main Gear. Which is appropriate. Though, the payloads might move it outside a good range. If the Nose strut compresses some and it's not hard to rotate for TO the LG is probably fairly close.>In my 757 I use 65 (max nose steer angle), but I programmed a>steer tiller that commands the nose that wide, and limit>rudder action to +/- 6 deg. At low speeds, I can do tight>turns using the tiller (like in the real a/c) but at speeds of>more than 50-60 KIAS, I have good rudder control (like the>real a/c also) >Tom Ah, yes. Sounds like an advance in realistic steering. I sure had trouble steering a Level C sim with the big knob used for steering before the rudder got effective. I guess the NG didn't steer from the rudder pedals. I ended up using the toe brakes but still ended up with the Left wheels hitting the runway lamps. I just got another DirectX JS dll from Doug, I have my YD working pretty good now. By using independent Rudder control I can yaw an AC, but still get Yaw Damping. Main thing is to tweak it to be similar to the YD's in real AC. Currently, I automatically turn the YD off on the ground, and automatically enable it in the air. That way I can steer normally. However, it might work nicely to limit NG steering if turned on for the TO Roll. Since the NG is coupled to the rudder in FS. Ron

Hi Ron,I must admit a lot of what you've written has gone over my head. I don't dabble with cfg files preferring to leave it to the experts like yourself :-)I'm sure further tweaks to this excellent aircraft will be made in the weeks and months to come. For now though I have overcome the steering problem and look forward to lots of flights.Thanks once again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Tom,I wonder if having the Yaw Damper on could have been the reason? I have it on from pushback to parking. I'm happy with the way things are now thanks to Ron.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi Ron,>>I must admit a lot of what you've written has gone over my>head. I don't dabble with cfg files preferring to leave it to>the experts like yourself :-) I have a bigger problem. Don't know how to use an FMS. ;) I'll have to try to get something out of the manual. Ron

Hi Ron,Sounds like you and I could do with meeting up for info-exchange ;-) Just a pity that Texas and England aren't closer :-(The good news is that once you've learnt one FMS they pretty much follow the same principle.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Tom,>>I wonder if having the Yaw Damper on could have been the>reason? I have it on from pushback to parking. I'm happy with>the way things are now thanks to Ron.>>Cheers,Ray, I think YD must be off on the ground and only enabled when (A:SimOnGround) is 0. It should improve the steering for sure.Tom

Guest saudi_777

Guys,In a nutshell, how can one improve the ground steering ability of the iFly 747-400, with regards to any Aircraft.cfg tweaks, FS9 setting changes or any certain things to do in the iFly 747-400 panel itself while using it in FS9???? :-hmmmAlso, has anyone managed to successfully merge this panel with the POSKY 747-400 GE engined model????Cheers,