Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dasher7

See my coming upload, - help with final tweaks..

Guest Dasher7

Hi folksI've had this Saab Safari panel and mod coming for a long time, trying to get a grasp of airfile editing. While I've come a long way, I am newbie-stuck, wondering if the current file is all for nothing?!****Correct stallspeed in landing config (I've been in contact with a Safari owner and operator) is 51, yet with my airfile its about 30 kts.. Will I have to start over, drop the custom airfile (and bmp kneeboard) or can YOU help me, knightly avsim developer :)*****Here is the airfile so far, the last good one before purely unfruitful experimentation took over:www.aviology.dk/Saab_Safari_MFI-15.airApart from that, it is close to the numbers, and flies smoothly.Try it on this aircraft by John Woodward, whose plane I am modifying:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchSadly, my comp halts in 3D right now, I believe I have a heat problem. My airfile newbness and hardware prob makes me ask for help from some of you, so I can get this seriously time consuming thing in the air, it should be worth it, I believe.http://www.aviology.dk/Saab%20Safari%20Readme.htmCheck the readme (already done :) ) for screens and specs, look at the "flying the safari on chapter 3" for specs apart from stall.)Hope to hear..-dasher7

Guest Dasher7

Here's a screenshot from the inside.-dasher7

Guest _FSAviator_

As John L. Woodward explains in his original release notes the flight dynamics in his Saab T-17 release are those of the default Cessna 182 and accordingly they retain the huge pitot error of the real Cessna 182.[airspeed_indicators]airspeed_indicator.0 = 1.3, -24.0It would seem that you have also retained minus 24 knots of ASI error (at Vs) that have no relevance to the Saab T-17.If John Woodward is still actively interested in obtaining more authentic T-17 FD, and crucially also still willing to be the point of contact for all post release support, I may be able to assist further, since I am a considerable fan of the original VC.

Guest Dasher7

Hi FSAviator!Thanks for your interest.I have been in contact with Woodward several times and he has been so gracious as to pretty much give me free hands, thanks John. That includes the FD, which we talked about, briefly. So that should be no problem. About the support issue, I have stated in my preliminary readme that what applies to the original readme still stands, - except of course for the panel, repaints and other mod's I made. Including what you made, if you'd like. Are you here, John?Yeah, the FD that I put up is a continued effort on mods that John made to the original 182, so I imagine that you FSAviator (!) will find other faults related to all the conflicting numbers that I imagine the newb (me) applied to it, apart from default flaws ;)I have spent a long time in the custom shop with this one and would hate to release it with a FD that didn't correspond fairly well with the true stall speed.While more or less on the numbers these may be impossible to retain, for the stall speed to be correct. FD creation is still much of a hit-or-miss operation for me, and it is beyond me to determine. Not being a RW pilot I imagine the general feel of the aircraft is too stable for such a comparatively agile ac and it is a lousy aerobatics performer as it stands now. Hoping to spur your appetite I just now put up a link for a 17 mg. video I made of the plane, where you can have a closer look at the vc, which is obviously very well executed by Woodward. One of the best in my opinion. I will include a non- 2-D panel cfg.Video:http://www.aviology.dk/Saab%20Safari%20Readme.htm -See the very top of the page for video link.In admiration of your work over the years,dasher7

Guest _FSAviator_

Greetings Halfdan,Nice video. I have now had time to study the wider aspects of your project and I will provide some further help via e-mail later today.

Guest Dasher7

Hi FSAviatorThat is just great!-dasher7

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Hi FSAviator!>Thanks for your interest.>I have been in contact with Woodward several times and he has>been so gracious as to pretty much give me free hands, thanks>John. That includes the FD, which we talked about, briefly. So>that should be no problem. ......>Yeah, the FD that I put up is a continued effort on mods that>John made to the original 182, so I imagine that you FSAviator>(!) will find other faults related to all the conflicting>numbers that I imagine the newb (me) applied to it, apart from>default flaws ;) The setting in the MS C182 aircraft.cfg:[airspeed_indicators]airspeed_indicator.0 = 1.3, -24.0 is rediculous. It makes the AIS read 24 kts low at low speeds. In fact, it is the lack of such a block (or, incorrect values) in many aircraft.cfg files that makes the speeds (stall and maximum) appear to be incorrect. This is what I set for an RV-7:[airspeed_indicators]airspeed_indicator.0=1.057, -5.0 //0.0 add -6 kt offset And, this for a C208B:[airspeed_indicators]airspeed_indicator.0 = 1.067, -10.0 //Reads 161 kts at CAS = 160 kts 1.087, -10 should be quite close for an AC near the C172/182 speeds. At SL, IAS will indicate 120 kts at TAS = 120 kts. Ron

Guest Dasher7

Hi RonThanks for the elaboration, don't ask why I hadn't properly picked up on that, I remember seeing the number, setting it at zero, then felt a black abyss open up in front of me, figuratively speaking, as everything changed accordingly. My inexperience with FD editing shines through, here.Sadly, I can't test my changes right now since my comp. is acting up:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...12721&mode=fullI'm working on that one, but I imagine I could be grounded for a couple of weeks.Thanks,Dasher7