Sign in to follow this  
Guest FelixFFDS

fsds3 texturing

Guest shep9999

Hi, i've just downloaded v3 2 days ago. just getting to grips with it. runs fine for me but one quibble re texturing. when i was using gmax (pretty rubbishly) I got a script which enable me to unwrap the model and export the result to psp8 to texture it. anyway of doing this in fsds ??? or do I need to purchass vass(gold) ??thanksgaz

Guest FelixFFDS

IN FSDS you take a texture "template" ...Part->Make Texture TemplateFrom there you can choose whether to make the side (left/right); top/bottom, or wrapped textures, and the base size - 256 or 512 square.It takes a snapshot and you save it to disk. The result is a greyscale wireframe of the part chosen.From there, it's a matter of opening it up in your paint program and manipulating (cropping, etc) to position the template(s) into a square graphic.In gmaxspeak - the " UVWUnwrapping and save" (creating the wireframe image) takes place before the " UVWMapping" (assigning the texture to the part).Check out the basic FSDS tutorials.

Guest shep9999

Hi pal, many thanks for that info. i have been scouring the interweb for tutorials but the ones i found did not have that info.also searched the help files and no info on templates could i find!will try that this a.m. and see what develops.here's hopingcheersgaz

Guest FelixFFDS

You know, you're right. For some reason the "Making a Texture template" tutorial/help was dropped from the V.3 *upgrade* (*which is what I have*).

Guest shep9999

Thanks. I got the full download version and it isn't there either:9 never mind. i tried it out as you said but what a fiddle to get a template. pity you cant group parts for , say , a pic of the fuselage to color in !!!! (hee hee)just got the ferris wheel turning. now trying 10 pages of "animating the gear". oh well such is life.cee yagaz

Guest FelixFFDS

>never mind. i tried it out as you said but what a fiddle to>get a template. pity you cant group parts for , say , a pic of>the fuselage to color in !!!! (hee hee)>>>cee ya>>gaz>Who said you can'tI'll select the parts I want to texture as one template.. say the vstab/rudder/fuselage - having made the fuselage my "current" part.(I can do this either by cycling through all the parts and pressing the spacebar, OR, by hitting F3 to bring up the parts list dialog, selecting the parts with the button)A: Joining parts temporarilyThen I join all the parts (j).I take my template (left/right in this case) and when done, I undo the join, (CTRL-Z); and de select all the parts. I've made a template of the "grouped" parts and then still have the individual parts. (Hint: The first few times you do this, do it on a COPY of the project... you don't want to join parts you really want to keep separate.)B: The Screen Shotwith the parts selected, do an Edit->Invert Selection and the press H (or Edit->Hide Selection). On screen you now have JUST the parts you want to texture. (rudder/vstab/fuselage).At this point, either expand the right view pane ([right-click] select "expand view") and take a screen shot (you can turn off the grid if you want a "clean" shot of the expanded right view), with the benefit that you can zoom in/out to get a better shot...In either case, you crop/adjust the image in your paint program to get the texture sizing/placement you want.(Almost) Nothing is impossible for a dedicated Luddite! (it just takes a wee bit longer)(...and gmaxers and other real modellers don't even want to see Luddite Lofting in action!!)

Guest shep9999

Hey Felix, Thanks a lot. I thought there would be a way round it.still i have only a couple of days of working with fsds. things coming along fine at the moment.I love people who makes things easier for the masses.will put a pic up when i've done something worthwhile ;) thanks againgaz

Guest shep9999

Felix, Help please if possible.I am having problems with boolean operations. Followed the tutorial with FSDS3(cutting out a wheel well). when i've done it the new parts appear in the list. followed the delete parts bit (i hit delete key). But nothing appears on the perspective view (i.e. Cutout to look at). any help appreciated as i've tried moving the tool out of the way but leaves the wing still intact.many thanksgaz

Guest FelixFFDS

>Felix, Help please if possible.>I am having problems with boolean operations. Followed the>tutorial with FSDS3(cutting out a wheel well). when i've done>it the new parts appear in the list. followed the delete parts>bit (i hit delete key). But nothing appears on the perspective>view (i.e. Cutout to look at). any help appreciated as i've>tried moving the tool out of the way but leaves the wing still>intact.>>>many thanks>gaz>The boolean operation in FSDS preserves your original part (say r_wing) and creates the new parts.. (r_wing_bool_1; r_wing_bool2) etc.Since your new parts occupy the same space, materials, etc., at first you won't notice anything in the sold perspective view, since your original part is still there.The advantage of this is that if you made a mistake, or it didn't come out right the first time, you can delete the new boolean parts and repeat with the original intact. Of course, you can also save the original part for re-use!