Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eurosky

parts disappear

Guest Eurosky

Hey, I have this weird problem with exporting my virtual cabin. When I export it, only 5% of the entire cabin is visible in FS. Also it affects the XML animations of the cockpit. I made the cabin using normal figures, box, cilinder etc. Nothing weird I guess. I did use the group function alot to group all parts of a seat together. I export with both commander and middleman. create x-file and auto interior. Does anyone has a clue on whats going on?

Guest FelixFFDS

I would suggest that rather than using groups, you LINK parts together. Also, if you really don't need to link/group parts, don't.For example, I'd link say a throttle lever's handle to the throttle lever, but I wouldn't GROUP the set of throttle levers...Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest Eurosky

good advice. But still even if I remove all groups, in FS you only see 5% of the cabin

Guest Firestriker

If you have grouped parts and then UNgrouped them you have made some work for yourself. First off, grouping is a NO NO. Your parts are probably there, but somewhere you don't see them as their origins have been relocated for you thru the grouping/ungrouping process. You will need to go thru EACH part that was in the group unlink and apply an X-Form Reset from the Utilities panel to each after making sure their pivot point is where it should be. Animated parts may need reanimating.Lou

Guest Eurosky

oooh my god hehe, thats alot different parts. Thanks for help guys! I will try it out!

Guest Eurosky

hey guys just wanted to tell what happened as it can perhaps help others with the same problemsI tried all reset Xform etc, pivot points, reset scale, transform all things. But sadly it only gave me a cabin with 1/5 of the seats. Then I remembered the texture comment, so I just tried removing all textures, and that did the trick. Gonne retexture now! Thanks all for the help!

Here's a cardinal rule for textures and MakeMDL.exe:All parts that are to be textured need to have a UV modifier applied. This is a common cause of unidentifiable crashes. It is sufficient to just put a simple UV modifier on top of an object

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Eurosky

hey Bill, I am pretty much going crazy here. I tried the reset Xform, no luckI tried without seats. Perfect export I tried with one seat, perfect exportmore seats, then 2 show and the rest simply dont show upI checked, every part has a material and UVW map. (texture) I remade the entire seat, no grouping used, also remapped the entire seat. Used linking. But again exact same problem. could it be that there is a limit of number of UVW maps? edit: some more tests,Only the seat (no cabin). Just 2 seats show up Removing all materials (select all, remove UVW from utilities) Perfect export!! the last one is the one I dont get. When removing materials it works perfectly. Already tried giving it a new material.

It sounds to me like there's some conflict with Materials going on.First question: Are all the seats mapped to the same texture .bmp? IOW, are the cabin seats identical?Second question: if all seats are identical, are you perchance creating a new Material for each seat?If so, stop doing that! ;) In general, you need only one Material for any given texture bitmap, then use that same Material for all objects that use that bitmap.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Eurosky

-------------------First question: Are all the seats mapped to the same texture .bmp? IOW, are the cabin seats identical?-------------------Yep, 1 texture for the entire cabin-------------------Second question: if all seats are identical, are you perchance creating a new Material for each seat?-------------------Both, first I had all with just 1 material. I also tried having them seperate. Both ways gave this problem. -------------------It indeed seems to be in the material. Perhaps, too many parts, but I cant believe that as its around 200 to 250 parts (depens on if you count the rest of the cabin) Polygon count is around 36000 , so should be ok too. Perhaps too many UVW maps (though I never heard of this!)

Guest Eurosky

done some more testing. - The cabin itself appears just fine- 1/3 of the seats show up- texture is one material applied to around 250 objects - Total polygon count is 37000 - No XML codes in it- I made sure all parts have different names- no grouping involved- linking or no linking, does not matter- By removing the material of the objects, all seats show up after export! :-hmmm