Sign in to follow this  
Guest zacharace

Need help with Excel 2007, don't know where else to go.

Hi,I hope this is ok. It does pertain to aviation!I was wondering if there were a way I could make a cell ask or tell you what value to enter.I'm making a logbook that has tons of entries, so I can more easily track certain times. I want certain cells to tell or ask me, for example, total "multi time". So I can enter my multi time for that flight. I need to make it ask me a question, or interrogative thing.Any help would be AWESOME!Thanks

Guest frozen

Not easily - think about it, where exactly do you think Excel can pose this question?I suggest you either:Add a pop-up to the cell saying "enter hours" or something - but this would get annoying over time, or simply go for the tried and tested method of putting a label in the cell left of the one you want to write in.If you're worried about headings disappearing as you track down screen, use the 'split pane' function, which you can design to keep your headings in view no matter how far you go down. It's under Window -- Split - I suggest you just have a play rather than me try and explain it!Alternatively, MS Access can do sums and it's possible to create a query for a new entry that produces pop-up boxes with whatever prompts you want. Again, it's a case of playing around and perhaps looking at the help function within queries.Hope that's of some help.

Guest zacharace

Kreg,What frozen described is pretty much the best way to achieve your goal; I would also recommend the pop-ups. Unfortunately, there's no real practical way to have a cell "ask" you to do something; the pop-up is the next-best thing besides column/row headings.Hope this helps.Zach