Sign in to follow this  
RogerPotie

Where to find documentation

I recently loaded a MD82 freeware which has a small problem concerning the usage of the radio tuning. That problem is solved with the help of another AVSIM member.But I would like to know more about how to tune gauges and panels that come with freewares. Whee is a good place to start to read documentation on how to create/modify panels and gauges. My problem for the moment is that I do not have a clear view of the overall picture on how the panel folder, the panel.cfg and the aircraft.cfg interact. What skills do I neeed: c++ ? SDK ? I have downloaded FSPanel Studio but I realize that there is more than that to tweak panels.Can anybody point me to the right direction to start this learning curve?

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Guest Mathias

go herehttp://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...wnloads_sdk.aspand downloadAircraft Container SDKandPanels and Gauges SDKfor starters. C++ is helpful if you want to dig into programming *.gau style gauges, but the learning curve is VERY steep there if you don't know your way around C++ or programming in general. You can only create gau-style gauges from scratch or based on the sample in the panels and gauges SDK. You cannot decompile existing *.gau-style gauges, modify and recompile them. Apart from the bitmaps contained in such gauges. They can usually be extracted by a utility contained in gaubmp2.zip, but I believe FSPanel Studio can do that too.A great help for c++ gauge programming is Dai Griffith's Gaugehelp documentation, the most up-to-date on being sd2gau17.zipas far as I know.For the xml side of the gauge world check out the sticky thread at the top of this forum for starters. You only need wordpad, a paint program and a basic understanding of RPN to get going with XML gauge programming. But if you want to get real good at XML gauge programming it is also going to be a very steep learning curve. however, others here have already climbed quite high in that respect :)

Mathias,Thank you. I was afraid that nobody would ever answer me.My goal is only to understand what to do to make some panels and gauges work on some freeware A/C "delivered" incomplete. I do not wish to build panels and gauges.I will follow your advice.

Roger

See my specs in my profile