Sign in to follow this  
nickpike

<Update hidden="No"/> question

Hi all, I understand putting into an XML gauge stops the gauge running when not in view, as in the case of a pop-up.I was wondering if 2 sets of gauges were made, one set for 2D and one for VC. If they contained the instruction, each set would only 'run' when in their respective view and take the load off FS to improve frame rates?cheers,nick

Nick,My experience with is that it has dramatically improved frame rates by preventing elements within tags from executing. Others, however, have not seen the same results. In another post I explained that I set up a test whereby a simple calculation within a 0 block would not update a given variable if was set, yet it would update the variable (despite the fact that the element's visibility was never true) if Update Hidden was "Yes", or not present.I should add that I'm talking about code within standard blocks, not an block. In any case, frame rates for my project improved dramatically with in place for all my gauges. Again, others, including Tom were not able to duplicate the results I was seeing and I can't explain that.Your purpose is slightly different, but I would imagine it would be easy enough to test it if you have some somewhat complex gauges to work with that can cause noticeable performance hits.--Jon

Nick,""Hi all, I understand putting into an XML gauge stops the gauge running when not in view, as in the case of a pop-up.I was wondering if 2 sets of gauges were made, one set for 2D and one for VC. If they contained the instruction, each set would only 'run' when in their respective view and take the load off FS to improve frame rates?""I've found in my tests that a "hidden" gauge/element doesn't stop running but runs in aprox. 1/10 of its current cycle. I think this is weird, and being aware of Jon's different results obtained in his tests, I believe it would be worth that you make your own's :-) specifically focused on the 2D/VC situation that you describe.I never played with and FPS improvement, but I believe Jon's statement of an important increase in FPS has to be valid in general.TomPS: How's doing with your TCAS project??

Thanks guys.Tom, the TCAS goes well. I was able to get a modified form of the dll module which has also helped to simplify the code somewhat. However, reading through your complete code has been educational.cheers,nick

Nick,I use Doug's TCAS module to drive a radar system, but I have to prioritize contacts though an ad-hoc sorting system. Is there another version that does something like that?There's a question I've been meaning to ask you with regard to your F-117's HUD. I sent you an email through avsim, but never heard back, so perhaps that's out of date. Could you send me an email at varming007@hotmail.com (or post your address) so I can ask you a couple questions about that?Thanks,--Jon

Jon,I can send you the latest. Is that posted e-mail correct?Doug

Oh thanks, Doug. I just looked and sure enough I made a typo on the address above - please use varmint007@hotmail.com or jblum@vrsimulations.com. Much appreciated!Nick, I hope you catch this new addy as well, sorry about that.--Jon

Nick,Your TCAS project sounds interesting to me. Is it aimed to a specific aircraft, or can be adapted to any with minor cosmetic changes? I am talking of a 757, where it could be included in the V/S gauge, like it is in most of those real birds.Tom

Hi there, I've been working with Doug and testing his mods. The module has parameters that are for a specific aircraft to a degree, mixed in with communicating with the module using L:Variables. The module can be universal (but I believe not in its present form)and would use a large set of L:Variables, which in turn means a large amount of extra XML coding. I don't know Doug's plans for the future of the module. Certainly the version I have is very aircraft type specific. There is a version available here at Avsim which is about a year old, and may heve enough parameters for your needs.cheers,nickJon i tried emailling you twice, once returned and the other must have dissapeared into the ether.

Ok Nick thanks. Still busy with other areas of my panel, will resume this stuff at the right moment.CheersTom