Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

If..else statement syntax

Guest pwdodds

I am very new to XML programming and have managed so far using other peoples examples as a starting point. However, I have just got stuck here because I can't fathom out the syntax for if--els statements. the following code always works to switch OFF the fuel selector, but will not switch it back on again when the selector switch is clicked. I suspect there is one character wrong somewhere. can someone help please?(G:Var1,bool)(G:Var1) ! (>G:Var1) if {1 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF) } els {(>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL) }Peter

Hi,Try something like:(G:Var1) 0 == if{ 1 (>G:Var1) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL) } els{ 0 (>G:Var1) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF) }NB May be better to use a L:Var: (L:Fuelselector,enum) 0 == if{ 1 (>L:Fuelselector,enum) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL) } els{ 0 (>L:Fuelselector,enum) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF) }Hope it helps, Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Hi Peter,See also Jan's advice above.In your code you make two principle errors:1.(G:Var1) ! (>G:Var1) if....The test condition is now undefined:- (G:Var1) places the var on the stack- ! inverts this value- (>G:Var1) removes the value from the stackSo the testcondition is an old (undefined) value on the stack.(G:Var1) d ! (>G:Var1) if....would do what you want. ("d" duplicates the last stack value)2. Never put a space character between "if {" and "els {" !So use if{ and els{ Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Guest pwdodds

Both of you were very helpful, and brought to an end days of head scratching! I still needed to toggle the switch bitmaps on the panel though, so the correct solution was as follows.(G:Var1) ! (>G:Var1) //toggles the switch on the panel(G:Var1) 1 == //tests value of G:Var1if{ 1 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL) } //G:Var1 = 1 so switch on fuel. els{ 0 (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF) }//G:Var1=0 so switch off fuel.It works exactly correctly with the above code, but I would like your views on my understanding of what's happening as shown in the //comments.Finally, because I have a start button for the engine, and being a purist I want to always force a proper startup, is there a way to disable the Control-E autostart function when entered from the keyboard. The function tests for a keypress (or combination) but I want it then to do nothing. Any ideas.sort of - Peter

>>and being a purist ......Why ?? Because, yes, you can disable the "Control-E" keystroke (just remove the "(do nothing)" ), but who's to say that the pilot is using the default "Control-E" keystroke for this autostart function ??(in fact, I don't :-) )Cheers, Rob

Guest pwdodds

Oh! I just want to make sure no-one who flies this aircraft cheats and doesn't use the gauge I have sweated over! :)Peter

Hi,May be not necessary any more, but a rewrite of your gauge:(G:Var1)(G:Var1) 0 == if{ 1 (>G:Var1) (>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_ALL) } els { 0 (>G:Var1)(>K:FUEL_SELECTOR_OFF) } Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Guest pwdodds

Yes that's a bit neater, I'll use that. I did get close to that in my own efforts at one stage.Does (G:Var1) 0 == mean"Set G:Var1 to value 1" or "Is (G:Var1) is equal to 0? True or false"I seem to remember from my old C (DOS) programming days many many moons ago that x=1 and x==1 meant entirely different things. x=1 was actually a question which produced a true or false result, whereas x==1 meant "Make x=1".Seeing your latin quotation reminds me that I once saw a C programme written entirely in latin. The header file had a lot of defines in it! Quite fun. I'm intrgued enough to ask - does it mean "Blessed are the peace makers?Peter

Hi,When the sim starts, or when you reload the sim or resize the window, or with 0 (>G:Var1), (G:Var1) becomes 0.That is why i advice to use (L:Var,enum).1 (>G:Var1) of course makes it 1.1033 (>G:Var1) means: (G:Var1)becomes 1033.I a string, %((G:Var1))%!d! , you read 1033. etcThe quote is from Horatius, just Google.........Jan

>I seem to remember from my old C (DOS) programming days many>many moons ago that x=1 and x==1 meant entirely different>things. x=1 was actually a question which produced a true or>false result, whereas x==1 meant "Make x=1".Actually, it's just the opposite... ;)In C, a double equals "==" is a question, a single equels "=" is an assignment.int x;if (x == 1) { x = 0 ; }In XML, a single equals has no real meaning at all, but the double equals "==" means the same as in C.(L:x,bool) 1 == if{ 0 (>L:x,bool) }

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest pwdodds

>>I seem to remember from my old C (DOS) programming days>many>>many moons ago that x=1 and x==1 meant entirely different>>things. x=1 was actually a question which produced a true or>>false result, whereas x==1 meant "Make x=1".>>Actually, it's just the opposite... ;)>>In C, a double equals "==" is a question, a single equels "=">is an assignment.>>int x;>>if (x == 1) { x = 0 ; }>>In XML, a single equals has no real meaning at all, but the>double equals "==" means the same as in C.>>(L:x,bool) 1 == if{ 0 (>L:x,bool) }I said it was a long time ago - 15 years approx. I think. However, little snippet has helped my understanding of XML syntax along a bit further.Peter

See upstairs, As a `purist` too i use :(>K:ABORT) Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."