Sign in to follow this  
Guest darrenecm

fs9 debug in vc++

Guest blsfly214

HiI'm trying to figure out how to debug the sample c gauges from the fs2004 sdk. I'm using visual studio 2005 c++. The gauges will compile and run just fine but I can't get into debug mode. Here's a bit of output when I run debug:info for 'fs9.exe' can't be found or doesn't match. No symbols loadedfs9.exe': Loaded 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9fs9.exe', No symbols loaded.'fs9.exe': Loaded 'C:WINDOWSsystem32ntdll.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).'fs9.exe': Loaded 'C:WINDOWSsystem32kernel32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped)..........'fs9.exe': Loaded 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9oleacc.dll', No symbols loaded.I loaded the symbols from microsoft. Now I'm only missing symbols for fs9.exe and oleacc.dll.Anybody know what I can do about this?

Guest mgipson

You don't need those symbols to debug your own gauges or the sample ones. Just set a breakpoint in the sample gauge, run and you should hit the breakoint when the gauge is loaded.

Guest blsfly214

That's what I thought too but when I set a breakpoint and run a box pops up and says:info for 'fs9.exe' can't be found or doesn't match. Nosymbols loaded. do you wish to continue.I continue and the breakpoint automatically gets disabled. It says:the breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols loaded for this document.I just want to be able to step thru the sample code to get a better feel for whats happening.

Guest mgipson

Where are you trying to set the breakpoint? In fs9.exe or in your own dll?

Guest mgipson

Have you just tried continuing? Your breakpoint might well be disabled until your gauge dll is loaded at whih point it will be active.

Guest blsfly214

Yeah, I've hit continue but it never breaks. I guess its not my biggest problem right now. At least I can still make new gauges. Its just nice to be able to see how variables change as you go along.Thanks for the help anyway.

I've found that the changes made in the FS 9.1 update prevent loading a debugger with FS9. With the NoCD patch it runs OK.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest darrenecm

I had this problem once.I found that if the name of my project as listed in Solution Explorer, was different to the name of the main C/C++ file that generates your .obj. .gau and, more importantly, the .pdb file (.pdb contains all your debug symbols), things did not work. Look at your Project name and make sure it's the same as the resultant build filenames that are being generated.I can now debug .gau files with blissful ease within the sim and productivity in tracking down those pesky code gremlins has vastly improved :)Hope this helps- Darren Evans

Guest wysspeter

I am trying to debug my gauge and it says it has loaded the symbols for my gauge, but for nothing else.The breakpoints are not hit and Visual Studio says:"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document"Any ideas?

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Have you first tested the gauge works at all in FS? Run it installed on a panel and see if it loads ok there.Are you using Express or VS 2005?

>I've found that the changes made in the FS 9.1 update prevent>loading a debugger with FS9. With the NoCD patch it runs OK.>Confirm that. Also FS9.1 contains an internal debugger that will (surprisingly) sometimes co-operate with you instead of just giving you a CTD if you do something stupid. I'd been trying to register a DirectSound object and every time I failed it came back with'FS9 Debug not registered. will not be played'.Friendly, for once!-Dai

Guest wysspeter

Found it :)I had to set the Debug Information Format to "Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI)"