Sign in to follow this  
Guest rkruijer

Barometric Setting

Guest rkruijer

Hi,From the Panel SDK:(>K:BAROMETRIC) Syncs altimeter setting to sea level pressure, or 29.92 if above 18000 feetIs it possible to change the 18000 ft to another figure somewhere?Thanks for your time.Roelof

Guest Vorlin

I never knew about the 18000 ft, but i've been successfully using that command in a button to reset my altimiter at much lower altitudes... around 3000 to 7000 ft.Have I just been lucky that it worked so far?Scott / Vorlin

That's a bit misleading, since you can send that command at any altitude you wish. FL180 is just the default transition altitude used by the sim. The command simply sets the kohlsman to 29.92 when activated.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest rkruijer

>That's a bit misleading, since you can send that command at>any altitude you wish. FL180 is just the default transition>altitude used by the sim. The command simply sets the>kohlsman to 29.92 when activated.That is correct but only when you are not ONLINE and/or not using real weather! I forgot to mention it but I am thinking about an ONLINE situation!From my experience being ONLINE:Below 18000 it will set kohlsman to the real local QNH Above 18000 it will set kohlsman to 1013 being the US Transition Level.Of course you can set it with 1013.2 16 * (>K:KOHLSMAN_SET) at an altitude other than 18000.For Europe 18000 is very unrealistic. I would like to be able to adjust it, depending on the country I am flying in!After all. MS does not give Europe a discount do they? :-)Roelof

>>That's a bit misleading, since you can send that command at>>any altitude you wish. FL180 is just the default transition>>altitude used by the sim. The command simply sets the>>kohlsman to 29.92 when activated.>>That is correct but only when you are not ONLINE and/or not>using real weather! Funny, 'cause I just checked this out while parked on the ramp at KGYY, using real weather and while online with VATSIM...I was able to toggle between QNH and 29.92 (1013.2) with complete freedom... :-wave

Fr. Bill    

Guest rkruijer

>Funny, 'cause I just checked this out while parked on the ramp>at KGYY, using real weather and while online with VATSIM...>>I was able to toggle between QNH and 29.92 (1013.2) with>complete freedom... :-wave Hi Bill,Can you tell me what you mean with toggle?What do you do to toggle between QNH and 1913.2Are we talking about XML programming?Roelof

Hi,Try this one and see what happens:(L:some var,enum) 0 == if{ 1 (>L:some var,enum) 16210.5 (>K:KOHLSMAN_SET) } els{ 0 (>L:some var,enum) (>K:BAROMETRIC) } QNH --> QNE vv. all over the world.Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

"QNH --> QNE vv. all over the world."QNE = What indication will my altimeter give on landing at ... (place) at ... hours, my sub-scale being set to 1013.2 millibars (29.92 inches)? I.e QNE is a height.QNH = What should I set on the subscale of my altimeter so that the instrument would indicate its elevation if my aircraft were on the ground at your station? I.e. QNH is a Kollsman setting.http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

Guest rkruijer

>Hi,>>Try this one and see what happens:>>>(L:some var,enum) 0 == >if{ 1 (>L:some var,enum) 16210.5 (>K:KOHLSMAN_SET) } >els{ 0 (>L:some var,enum) (>K:BAROMETRIC) } >>>QNH --> QNE vv. all over the world.>>Jan>>"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."Thanks Jan But that I have covered. I only wanted to know if this 18,000 ft could could be changed on which FS9 supposedly gives the QNE rather then QNH when using (>K:BAROMETRIC)I take it that this default setting cannot be changed leaving us using 16210.5 (>K:KOHLSMAN_SET)Roelof

Guest rkruijer

>"QNH --> QNE vv. all over the world.">>QNE = What indication will my altimeter give on landing at ...>(place) at ... hours, my sub-scale being set to 1013.2>millibars (29.92 inches)? I.e QNE is a height.>>QNH = What should I set on the subscale of my altimeter so>that the instrument would indicate its elevation if my>aircraft were on the ground at your station? I.e. QNH is a>Kollsman setting.>>http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.phpThanks for the link! Interesting and very revealing.Roelof

Guest rkruijer

Hi, I sorted it out and this is the deal.FS with real weather or ONLINE Pressing B will set QNH into altimeter. Airport elevation is shown. when on airport. Turn knob on altimeter to create QFE. (0 hight) Pressing B has the same result as (>K:BAROMETRIC) Pressing B above 18.000 ft will set QNE (1013.2). USA TA Below 18.000 (Europe) use 1013.2 16 * (>K:KOHLSMAN_SET to set QNEIn the aircraft you have to turn the knob to set it to read 1013when ascending and passing TA, or when descending and passing TLFrom what I gather it is not possible to adjust the 18.000 to make just pressing B, give you either, like in the USA situation.Roelof

>From what I gather it is not possible to adjust the 18.000 to>make just pressing B, give you either, like in the USA>situation.You're completely missing the point... Setting the "default" 29.92 (or 1013.2) may be done an any time, not just when at or above 18,000'...As I've said previously, the mention of 18,000' in the SDK is misleading, and that is where your confusion has begun.Using the key_event (either C or XML, makes no difference) to set 29.92 on the altimeter may be done even if sitting on the ground.

Fr. Bill    

Does that mean that the Flight Simulator variable SEA LEVEL PRESSURE is always 29.92 (1013.2) or that the 18000 ft value is ignored?

Guest rkruijer

>You're completely missing the point... Setting the "default">29.92 (or 1013.2) may be done an any time, not just>when at or above 18,000'...I am just wondering who's missing the point Bill,Do the following test:Go to any airport in Europe. Get real weather. Hit "B" QNH will be set in the altimiter. Right.Now hit the "Y" and slew up to 15.000 ft Hit "B" again. Same thing happens. Now Slew up to above 18.000 ft. Hit "B" again and now it does not set local QNH but QNE. SAS of 1013 as required because TA is 18.000ft in the US.Conclusion! Hitting "B" does 2 diffent things depending on being below or above 18.000 ft.My question is/was. Can one change the 18.000 that seems to be fixed in FS9 to serve the US TA, to a more favourable altitude for your own country!!!?Roelof

Guest rkruijer

>Does that mean that the Flight Simulator variable SEA LEVEL>PRESSURE is always 29.92 (1013.2) or that the 18000 ft value>is ignored?No! See next message.Roelof