Sign in to follow this  
Guest rkruijer

Barometric Setting

>I am just wondering who's missing the point Bill,>>Do the following test:>>Go to any airport in Europe. Get real weather. Hit "B" >QNH will be set in the altimiter. Right.>Now hit the "Y" and slew up to 15.000 ft Hit "B" again. Same>thing happens. >Now Slew up to above 18.000 ft. Hit "B" again and now it does>not set local QNH but QNE. SAS of 1013 as required because TA>is 18.000ft in the US.>>Conclusion! Hitting "B" does 2 diffent things depending on>being below or above 18.000 ft.I don't use the "B" key to set that key_event... I have it assigned to Shift-B and that's the difference we're seeing.Alt/Options/Controls/Assignment/Assign Shift-B to "Trigger Rotor Brakes"Don't ask why this works, but believe me... it does! Now you can simply press Shift-B anytime to set the Kohlsman to 29.92 (1013)...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest rkruijer

>I don't use the "B" key to set that key_event... I have it>assigned to Shift-B and that's the difference we're seeing.>>Alt/Options/Controls/Assignment/>>Assign Shift-B to "Trigger Rotor Brakes">>Don't ask why this works, but believe me... it does! >Now you can simply press Shift-B anytime to set the Kohlsman>to 29.92 (1013)...Now that is good to know. A nice shortcut to set SAS. Toggle between QNH and QNE. Why did you keep this from us so long Bill? :)The way I have this programmed in my gauge is a little bit more complicated. When crossing a border with the aircraft the program knows what country it has entered. It then sets TA and TL to the appropriate value for that country. Accordingly it sets QNH/QNE as required. Roelof

Guest rkruijer

>>Assign Shift-B to "Trigger Rotor Brakes">>>>Don't ask why this works, but believe me... it does! >>Now you can simply press Shift-B anytime to set the Kohlsman>>to 29.92 (1013)...I tried it and to my surprise Shift-B to "Trigger Rotor Brakes"seems to be the normal condition in assignments.So far so good I thought but when I tried to use Shift "B"nothing happened. I wonder if you have an aircraft with a gauge in it that redirects it!I tried the Cessna 172 and B737-400 (default)Roelof

Er, this is embarrasing... I just looked closer and see now that I had used FSUIPC's Hot Key assignments to accomplish the Shift-B trick... Argh! I feel like such a *:-* now...I did this several years ago and had completely forgotten about it.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest rkruijer

Hi Bill,>I did this several years ago and had completely forgotten>about it.I have that sometimes after one week! :-) I am 72+However, The following should do the trick. Not globally but for a specific panel of course. 1013.2 16 * (>K:KOHLSMAN_SET) I have never worked with FSUIPC setting keys etc.There are simply too many utilities, programs and the likes to cover.Roelof