Sign in to follow this  
nickpike

OBS button on the GPS500

Hi all, when the OBS button is clicked it puts the flight plan navigation into suspend mode. It should also set this waypoint as a navigation datum, so if you set a course value, the aircraft should align on a radial of this datum. Has anyone got this to work fully. My flightplan suspends, but the course function does not and the aircraft just wants to fly around the datum waypoint.cheers,nick

Guest darrenecm

I stopped using the default GPS many months ago because it's got annoying limitations and incorrect behaviour in various places. I only ever use the RealityXP GNS530 product now for my GPS needs. At least until something else comes along with a similar feature set.The OBS behaviour you mention where you can dial in a course radial works exactly as expected in the RealityXP version. So if you're looking for more realistic GPS behaviour and can afford it, go grab the RealityXP GNS530.

Nick, having scoured the actual manual(s) here: http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jspI find that the description of the OBS operation is precisely as described below (the "key word" is in bold:"The OBS key is used to select manual or automatic sequencing ofwaypoints. Pressing the OBS key selects OBS mode, which will retain thecurrent

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I suppose I should add some clarification to what I wrote here:"The FS gps.dll simply doesn't allow you to select an arbitrary GPS waypoint for use with the OBS. There's nothing "wrong" with the G500 (or any derivative based on the gps.dll system), it's a limitation of the SIM..."You actually can use the gps.dll functions to navigate to/from any arbitrary waypoint (using the Direct-To), but then you'd lose your existing flightplan, which would totally defeat the purpose of the SUSP function... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill, I have found that the SUSP function remembers the flight plan, but just suspends auto flight. I was also able to use the bearing to the next waypoint as this remains available. With some jiggery-pockery (that's technical talk) I can use the bearing to allow the waypoint to act like a VOR. Then switching off the SUSP function, the aircraft returns to the flightplan. All kinda neat.cheers,nick

Great! I'm happy you found the correct "jiggery-pockery" to make it work the way you want... ;)

Fr. Bill