Sign in to follow this  
nickpike

Open Source XML Gauge Designer released

Guest j_pilborough

Hello, I've just released the first beta of an Open Source XML Gauge designer program, since there don't seem to be any free tools for creating xml gauges.XML Gauge Designer is a tool to help you create XML Gauge files for Microsoft® Flight Simulator : A Century of flight. You can create your gauge with easy-to-navigate dialogs instead of cryptic xml code.You can then see what your gauge will look like using the gauge preview feature.If you want to write your own xml code, a syntax highlighting, xml validation editor is included. It will even indent your code so you can read it easier.Requires Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 and Windows Installer 1.1.XML Gauge Designer is open source, so you are welcome to submit changes to the source code, which can be downloaded from the web address below.You can find it at http://supersims.sourceforge.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9 (copy and paste the whole url)This is the first release so their are bound to be bugs - please let me know what you think of it. If anyone would like to get involved with developing or documenting the program please let me know.

Guest j_pilborough

>Hi there, any chance of a screenshot or two?>cheers,>nickBy all meansThe main screenshot1.gifInserting a mouse areamouse.gifInserting a non-linearitynon-linearity.gif

Guest Vorlin

4 things so far:We need to be able to turn the graphic representation on and off because, while programming, it's common to have 3-4 other programs running simultaneously (incl. FS9) and that extra CPU time needed to draw the gauge isn't needed most of the time... though it is good to check on the look of things now and then as you go along.Second, the graphics representation doesn't interperet the alphas... making all bitmaps opaque even if they aren't.Third, the tab order in the non-linearity table doesn't follow the same order as the enter key. It would be nice if the enter key went from value to X, to Y and back or just from value to x and back when the Y is disabled. You intuitively expect it to do this and to be ready with a new line each time you hit enter and move to the next box, but it doesn't work that way.Fourth, it had one strange semi-lockup on me. It kept responding and seemed to be working but when I reloaded the VC nothing changed. I finally tracked it to the fact that the program was acting as if it had saved the file but it actually didn't. This all started as soon as I started to notice a hiccup / delay every time I changed a line of text and the graphic representation tried to redraw. It's a nice idea and I'm sure that it will turn out great! Overall, not bad for a first version beta!Scott / Vorlin