Sign in to follow this  
Guest bartels

Flying between LAT-LON coordinates.

Guest rkruijer

Hi,I would like to make an aircraft fly between a LAT-LON position to another LAT-LON position from within an XML gauge.Sort of fly from A to B given the coordinates of A and BThe gauge should then calculate a Heading. Is that possible?Roelof

Hi Roelof,Yes.The formula's you have to use are a bit dependant on the distance between the two positions.If the distance is short (< 100 nMile), you can use simple formula's.See for examples the Ball.xml (HUD) gauge in my rcbco-20.zip package.Now, over larger distances you shouldnot assume a straight line between two coordinates, because the world isn't flat :-)I.o.w. the shortest way between isn't a straight line, but might be a curve (depending on the coordinates); so with a changing heading during flight.For this you have to use the so-called "great circle navigation" formula's.See e.g.: http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htmGroetjes, Rob

Guest rkruijer

Thanks Rob,I am aware of the great circle navigation but implementing it in an XML file looks quite a complex adventure. )-:I'll have a look at your Ball.xml as well. An interesting site btw.Maybe OT but I dl Dougs dsd_xml_sound3.gau today.Together with a dsd_xml_sound.ini there are 3 readme files.Get's a little bit confusing. Since your a master in it I would like to ask a few things. 1. Where does dsd_xml_sound3.gau go? Gauges?2. Where does the dsd_xml_sound.ini go? AircraftPanel folder?3. How many ini files can this dsd_xml_sound3.gau handle? I suppose you would have to give them different names.4. At one point Dougs is talking about./config_file.ini ./Gauges/dsd_xml_sound.ini .SoundPiper_sounds.ini Here I get lost. Can you shed some light on this?Much obliged as always,Groetjes Roelof

Roelof,The gauge itself should go in the Gauges folder. The .ini file can go pretty much anywhere, you just have to specify where it is. You do this by listing the path as a parameter in the panel.cfg entry for the gauge.By using different names I was hoping to make clear that you are not limited to any particular file name or path.Doug

Guest bartels

I placed some great circle XML code here some time ago, I think. Can't find it at the moment.

Guest rkruijer

>Roelof,>>The gauge itself should go in the Gauges folder. The .ini>file can go pretty much anywhere, you just have to specify>where it is. You do this by listing the path as a parameter>in the panel.cfg entry for the gauge.>By using different names I was hoping to make clear that you>are not limited to any particular file name or path.>>Doug>Now I get it Doug. These 3 ini files represent one and the same right?To put my mind at ease.... All I need is the one and only dsd_xml_sound3.gau and one .ini file.For more aircraft you can use more ini's.Thanks a lot Doug. I can get on with it now!Roelof

Guest rkruijer

>I placed some great circle XML code here some time ago, I>think. Can't find it at the moment.That's the best news I had today. :DAnyway, whenever you run in to it, keep me posted.Roelof

Guest rkruijer

Thanks Arne and Jan,This wil keep me going for a while.Roelof

Here's a suggestion for the gauge...Slave it to the heading bug, so the heading bug is updated (perhaps once every few minutes so there's no impact on speed) as the heading changes from the aircraft's position to the dest. lat/lon. The autopilot could then fly the great circle route.Next, include distance to destination, and groundspeed, and ETA to destination. That would be a rather handy gauge if the interface for entering the lat/lon were easy-John

Guest rkruijer

Thanks John,The plan is taking some shape now. Still a long way to go though.Roelof

Guest rkruijer

Thanks John, Enough to keep me going. Don't hold your breath though. Jan went as far as calling it a threat! :D >Have a look in this threat and >do a search for "great circle"Wonder what became of his FMC?Are you there Jan?Roelof

This discussion is very interesting and brings another question:I use the same great circle formula as Arne. It works fine, but it calculates true heading, and it needs to be converted into magnetic heading. For this reason, I need to have the magnetic variation value. Where can it be found?I know FS provides it through the "MAGNETIC VARIATION" variable, but this is valid at the aircraft position only. If you calculate the headings for a flight plan, you need to have the mag var value anywhere in the world. Any clue?Eric