Sign in to follow this  

I fly with autocoordination. I don't have rudders. I have a plane that I want to be able to control the rudder from my joystick X axis. I don't need aileron control. I found an autocoordination toggle switch that is supposed to turn off the autocoordination. It is as follows:(A:AUTO COORDINATION,bool)(>K:AUTOCOORD_TOGGLE) (>K:TOGGLE_AFTERBURNER4)Toggle AutoCoordinationWhen I toggle the switch FS9 aborts with an error in sim1. Why does it cause the error? Is there a fix?Next I want a toggle that will reverse the axis definition from X axis for aileron to X axis for rudder. I can go into the menu and do all this but I was hoping to be able to make a toggle switch that would do both functions just for this one plane. I would also like the toggle to revert back again to autocoordination and X axis for the aileron upon switching it off on exit. Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Hi Bob,I assume you use this code in an aircraft with 4 non-turbine engines ??See post:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchSolution: Remove Toggle_afterburner4 event.It's of no use here (it was used in FS2002 to generate a click-sound, using Bill Morad's xml-sound gauge).But in FS9 this event can cause a program crash, as described above.Secondly (if I remember correctly): for some obscure reason the Toggle Autocoordination event ONLY works when you have a (registered or unregistered) version of FSUIPC installed. Still a mistery to me as to the why :-(About exchanging the rudder and aileron axis: not directly possible in XML.BUT: Doug Dawson recently created a gauge (dsd_axis_control) which allows you to "intercept" these axis events, so you can write the value of one read axis as input to the other axis.Doug sent that to me a while ago, but I've never used it since I didn't have an application for it yet. But it looks you could you this gauge for the purpose you want.So you might want to contact Doug to see if he has a newer version.If you need help with such an XML gauge after you contacted Doug, send me a PM or EMail.Sounds like a nice application for Doug's gauge.Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Hi,I use (>K:AUTOCOORD_ON) (>K:AUTOCOORD_OFF) to set autocoordination on/off as required. It works well.Like Rob stated, TOGGLE_AFTERBURNERn with n greater than number_of_engines will hang the sim. I think it should be possible to control rudder from joystick's X axis by code. If you just elaborate what you want to do, maybe I could give some help.Tom

Hi Rob. Thanks. You hit the nail right on the head! Yes it is for a 4 engine non-turbine aircraft. I will remove the afterburner event. I'll contact Doug also as you mentioned. It is kind of a unique problem. I'll PM you once I contact Doug. Best regards, Bob.

Hi Tom. Thanks., As you can see I want to control the rudder only using my Flightstick Pro joystick X axis. At present the X axis is setup for aileron control and I am in autocoordination mode. Maybe all I need is to reverse the axis only. I will try that and then contact you again. It might be that I don't have to turn autocoordination off. Best regards, Bob.

Hi again. After getting your help and Tom's (below) I realized that all I need is the axis switch. I just tried that and it works. All I will need is Doug's gauge. I'll contact him or look for it. Thanks for the help and best regards, Bob.

Hi again Tom. Thanks to you and Rob I realized all I need is the axis switch. I just tried that and it works fine. All I need, it looks like, is Doug's gauge. I appreciate the help. Best regards and Thanks, Bob.

Hi Tom,Have you ever tried AUTOCOORD_ON and AUTOCOORD_OFF while FSUIPC.dll is NOT present in the modules folder ??Because without it, I can't get these events to do anything on my PC.About the axis assigned to Ailerons driving the Rudder axis:Yes, of course that's possible (even simple) in XML.But then the external axis will still ALSO control Ailerons.If that's not a problem for Bob, then Dougs gauge isn't necessary.Cheers, Rob

Bob,This is what I would do:1) Turn autocoordination OFF2) In an section of the gauge you use to control the process, (A:AILERON POSITION,percent) s0 0 != if{ l0 163.84 * (>K:RUDDER_SET) 0 (>K:AILERON_SET) }you may need to use /-/ after l0 if it works reversed ( can't remember that!:-( )You'll see a quick flickering of the ailerons when in spot view, which is unavoidable afaik, but the effect would be imperceptible.TomPS: To avoid joystick "noise", you can compare "abs 0.05 !=" instead

Hi Rob,Well, I think I did that test once, but I'm not sure. Actually I had the same problem with TOGGLE_AUTOCOORD, and was Jan who suggested me to use ON/OFF instead.As for the axis assignment, yes I believe it is as simple as posted above. No need of Doug's gauge unless you want something close to perfect :-)Tom

Hi Tom,Yes, you are right. The problem is with TOGGLE_AUTOCOORD only.Still funny though, that with FSUIPC installed the problem is gone.And yes, your code above will do the trick.DOug's gauge just makes it "perfect" :-) since it avoids the "jittering" ailerons because it intercepts aileron input (so you can disable it).Cheers, Rob

Hi Tom. Please don't laugh at my gauge. I am no gauge expert by any means. Here is what I made using your suggestion. The problem is that it only works when I click the toggle button. I'd like it to set the rudder on instead of the aileron and stay that way until I clicked it off. This won't do that. Rudder Axis Set(A:AILERON POSITION,percent) s0 0 !=if{ l0 -163.84 * (>K:RUDDER_SET) 0 (>K:AILERON_SET) }Any suggestions sure would be appreciated. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Bob,I don't think laughing at anyone's work would mean a help of any kind.Instead of using to fire the events, just let them work automatically under certain conditions:(L:Rudder Axis Set,bool)if{ (A:AILERON POSITION,percent) s0 abs 0.001 > if{ l0 /-/ 163.84 * (>K:RUDDER_SET) 0 (>K:AILERON_SET) } }Rudder Axis Set On/Off(L:Rudder Axis Set,bool) ! (>L:Rudder Axis Set,bool)Now clicking will enable/disable rudder control through X axis, also supporting keyboard commands tied to ailerons movement.Tom

Hi Tom.Thanks. I really do appreciate the help. As you can see I am no XML gauge programmer. I wish I knew more. I am really trying to learn. Thanks to guys like you all here it really helps. Best regards and Thanks, Bob.