Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Any idea if this type of gauge is possible?

A gauge which, if enabled, stores the current surface wind conditions and writes new values, then restores the suface conditions once airborne?I don't know if gauge coding allows one to write weather values, but it would be a real boon to aiding ground handling in crosswinds. FSUIPC does this to an extent, but being able code a gauge would allow one to pick and choose which aircraft you want to apply the effect to.Regards,John

Guest jprintz

Yeah, that would truly be a GREAT idea. (Though some people (astoundingly) still argue that there's nothing wrong with the way FS2004 models ground-handling in crosswinds. Okay....) I don't have the parameters document in front of me right now, but I know there are plenty of readable variables for wind speed and direction. (I don't recall if there's a way to extract the altitude of the wind layers though. Probably not.) And I definitely don't recall seeing any variables that would allow one to write weather information from within a gauge. That would be a very neat feature, but my strong hunch is: "not possible." I'd be THRILLED if someone proved me wrong though. ;-)

I started thinking on this some more, and wonder if maybe it can be done using ABL? I've never tried coding in ABL and I'm not sure if I would even know how to get ABL to work within the sim, but maybe it's an avenue to try.-John

For what it's worth, ABL will soon be obsolete, along with the ill-fated NetPipes SDK... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm only concerned with the here and now.... ABL would suffice if it's up to the task.-John