Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Damping - Warning heavy math.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Well, I figured out what my problem was with earlier code. Turns out it was a variable not getting set like it should.So, now with a new object all programed, I have reduced my callback function to this:FLOAT64 FSAPI Attitude_Bank_cb(PELEMENT_SPRITE pelement){ return gyroAttitude.getBank();}which is handy. The Gyro takes care of all the gritty details:class Gyro{public: Gyro(string gyroName, GAUGE_TOKEN pitchToken, double pitchLimit, double pitchDamper, GAUGE_TOKEN bankToken, double bankLimit, double bankDamper, GAUGE_TOKEN yawToken, double yawLimit, double yawDamper); string getGyroName(); bool isGyroPowerOn(); void toggleGyroPower(); FLOAT64 getPitch(); FLOAT64 getBank(); FLOAT64 getYaw();private: FLOAT64 Gyro::dampened(double &axis, double goal, double damp_factor); bool gyroPowerOn; string name; double pitch; double bank; double yaw; MODULE_VAR goal_pitch; MODULE_VAR goal_bank; MODULE_VAR goal_yaw; double limit_pitch; double limit_bank; double limit_yaw; double damp_pitch; double damp_bank; double damp_yaw;};Now, after looking more closely at the dampening formula, we get a graph like the blue below. What I really need is something more like the red with a gradual falloff to asomptote.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/152469.jpgI am, however, not the math guru. Any ideas? Maybe I could do a web search on logrythmic functions or something.Patrick

Looks like you're trying to simulate an object with mass that is undergoing constant acceleration. Try something like this:bank=28speed=0in each time step: speed=speed+0.05 bank=bank-speedYou'll almost certainly have to tweak the 0.05 -- it's just a wild guess. The other question is what you want to do when you hit zero... but maybe you can come up with suitable logic for that yourself...HTHMartin

Hi,In this case I think you could try a 2nd/3rd order polinomial, use Excel to find the formula.Tom

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Tom,Yes, I too think I'm probably looking for a such a polynomial. I'll keep experimenting in Excel.Thanks for the thoughts.Patrick