Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Using the "starters"

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Ok,I figured out that probably what is necessary is a Jet starter, as I am dealing with engine type=3.So, given this:#define ENG_STARTER_STARTER_OFF 0 // values for jet engines#define ENG_STARTER_STARTER_START 1#define ENG_STARTER_STARTER_GEN 2It would seem that there are no magnetos to throw me for a loop, and basically one would expect the value to go to 1, not 4 which is what I observe with outside tools.However,being a jet, it does not snap back to 0 or go to 2 automatically.So, I peeked at the XML code for the 747, and see that they use a timer to reset the starter.This means that basically that given a push of the joystick button, I have to do the same. Now, since this must be done in the ICON callback, or gauge callback I would just count a certain number of loops, then move it back to 0.I'm not sure I need the GEN position, but I guess I could move it to 2 when the GEN is switched on.And I see these relevant KEYs:KEY_TOGGLE_STARTER1KEY_TOGGLE_ALL_STARTERSKEY_JET_STARTERKEY_STARTER1_OFFKEY_STARTER1_STARTKEY_STARTER1_GENKEY_STARTER1_SETI wonder if any can tell me how you use a _SET. I imagine this one is designed to allow you to send it a value to set: Off, Start, or Gen. Just curious.Also, I wonder what the KEY_JET_STARTER does vs. using the others.Patrick

>KEY_STARTER1_SET>>I wonder if any can tell me how you use a _SET. I imagine>this one is designed to allow you to send it a value to set:>Off, Start, or Gen. Just curious.Good God man! You're flailing about so much it's difficult to keep up with you... ;)I've been out of town for the past few days, having just returned from my annual pilgrimage to the Shrine of All Things Aviation, aka: Airventure 2006 at Oshkosh... :)I tried to post this earlier this morning while still at the hotel, but of course since I was on a 'guest account' on the hotel's computer, I couldn't log on for posting with AVSIM (hotel's 'puter would not allow cookies).To _SET any of the key_events, one need only supply a legal value in the second parameter of the trigger_key_event macro, i.e.,KEY_STARTER1_SET,val // where val is an actual number or a variable with the appropriate data type and units.BTW, I got your code in my email inbasket, but I'm going to have to rest up a bit before responding. After 48+ hours of whirlwind activities, I'm absolutely wiped out and need a very long nap! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Hey Bill,Thanks for your response. Don't worry about the source code, I since figured out that it really wasn't the problem (although some things in it will look broken).Turns out that helo's are different, and the "starter" vars don't reset automatically, moreover, they cannot be reset with KEY_stuff.So, turns out the only way to use them is either use DirectInput, or FSUIPC.So, I think I'm going to not use that var at all, to avoid limitations in timing, and just use an unused var that does go on/off, or just use DirectInput.