Sign in to follow this  
Guest bookmark

I guess if we're going to be poached...

Guest Vorlin

Hey all,Our MD500E was uploaded to some other sites without the knowledge of those who developed it. I'm not upset, come to think of it I don't think we put in any restrictions against such a thing. We didn't really think about it too much.I suppose if you're going to get poached, it's nice to be the top download. Flightsim.com was given our aircraft on 8/3 and it was #1 that day and #2 on 8/4.I don't know if I should be upset or flattered. I suppose I'll try the latter, it's less stressful that way! lolI just checked the file they have on Flightsim.com, it looks to be complete. I wonder how many other places it will show up...I'm sure a lot of you are used to such a thing or PO'd by it... but this is my first one. I just find it amusing as he**.Scott / Vorlin

I used to get it a lot in the FS98/FS2K days when I was producing individual gauges hand-over-fist. I'd upload to flightsim.com and within days they'd be all over the net (including here). Saved me the job of having to do multiple uploads...-Dai

Guest bartels

I was surprised it also works the other way round. I do know my TrafficRadar was only uploaded here and also appeared at flightsim.com, butI did sign an agreement on upload.

Guest bookmark

I upload only to AVSIM and FlightSim.com, nevertheless my stuff appears all over the Internet. Well, as long as the archive is intact with copyright notice, docs etc. in place, I guess one should be flattered. My main worry is that obsolete versions are distributed this way. /Tom

>I upload only to AVSIM and FlightSim.com, nevertheless my>stuff appears all over the Internet. Well, as long as the>archive is intact with copyright notice, docs etc. in place, I>guess one should be flattered. My main worry is that obsolete>versions are distributed this way. That is indeed the chief "problem" with multi-site "auto" distribution...Many times, only the original v1.0 released is "auto" distributed by "helpful folks," whereas the service releases are not.I still receive (sometimes) ugly emails from folks who've downloaded something released for FS2k, later updated to FS2k2, and even later updated to FS2k4 (FS9), railing about how my work is "crap," etc.I have a 'canned response' pointing them to AVSIM, where the official release is available.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest bookmark

>I have a 'canned response' pointing them to AVSIM, where the>official release is available.So do I, although it points to our support website. "Check out our website for the latest update, bla bla bla" and so on.My policy btw is to upload a release to AVSIM only when it has been available on our website for a week or so and noone has reported serious errors. Sort of a "cautious approach", to avoid being hit by 5000 complaints the first day. ;o)I package my aircraft in an installer app, to ensure the integrity of the distribution. This did not stop one guy from extracting all the files in the installer, adding some textures and his own copyright notice(!), and uploading this in a zip file to five websites. In his own name on some sites (which in itself is a a violation) and in MY name on others (which is really worse). Oh man...