Sign in to follow this  
Guest superman32870

FS X and gauge files.

Guest superman32870

Was looking through the gauges file of FS X and noticed the gauges do not use the .gau extension anymore. They use the .dll extension now. I loaded the default 747 from FS9 and got it to work because it is has xml gauges. I loaded default 777 from FS 9 and it does not work because it has the .gau extension. The only thing that showed up with the 777 panel was the simicons which are xml!!! Tried to rename it with a .dll extension to no avail. Looks like this might cause a lot of problems with a lot of the addons we already have unless there is a way to get the .gau files to work. If anyone has messed with this already let me know.Chris

I have loaded my sound gauges into the FSX demo. It presents a question regarding trusting an unknown third party addon, but it you answer affirmatively, it will load .gau files without any further issues.Doug

Bendix_King_radio.dll and Magnetic_Compass.dll are both actually un-renamed .gau files...Or, putting it another way, all .gau files are simply renamed .dll files! ;)However, what concerns me the most about the "Brave New World" of FSX is that - unless compiled gauges include a "Digital Signature*" (varying in cost from $199/yr to $500/yr), the end user will have to "manually" approve every single .gau file installed as "Trusted," and that gauge is then added to the FSX.cfg file like this:[Trusted]C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X GAUGESescj1variables.GAU.lkowethuaciuoiawzbklaiwqainnzizclucaqrkq=2C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X GAUGESescj1pfdclose.GAU.auhbbckuheeoznlwehkrrqnciiuuqheqbhneunbn=2C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X GAUGESescj1pfdtop.GAU.kcuennaiqrazhzkwrklckeuatoccqhoaaltwehba=2C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X GAUGESescj1stbyadi.GAU.tukkwltuaztellbiwhcawbzhneiuhlzwokeoznli=2etc., etc. ad infinitum!I can only imagine the absolute HORROR this will make of the FSX.cfg file as users add more and more 'legacy' aircraft into the sim!NOTE: None of this applies to XML gauges!!!For freesare (and most payware) C gauge coders, the only viable option is to ensure that all the gauges are compiled into one, single multi-gauge, which is only good practice to begin with...* See here for an example: http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certific...ode/msauth.html

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest superman32870

I can't get the 777 gauges to show up in FS X. If anyone has the time, can you try it and see if you can get it to work.Thanks,Chris

Guest superman32870

Alright, I compiled the sample SDK gauge from the panels sdk and gave it and .dll extension. It worked in FS X. I compiled the same sample gauge in a .gau extension. It also worked. But I can't get the existing Boeing777.gau or Lear_45.gau gauges to load.??? What is going on??? Help anybody.Chris

In spite of showing versiton 9.0.xxxxx in the Properties, unpacking with Depends.exe shows that those two gauges are still using the FS98 header file, so they will not work at all in FSX.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest superman32870

Bill,I also unpacked the gauges in question. Where did you find the information on the header file if you don't mind me asking.Thanks,Chris