Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

The Gimli Goose

So we were chatting tonight about the Air Canada Boeing 767 that ran out of fuel and landed in Gimli, Manitoba, CANADA. It was the 25 anniversary a little while back. It got me thinking. Have any of you ever gone over top of an airport and shutdown all engines. Your mission, if you show chose is to do that and land the craft. I am thinking jets here as the Gimli goose was a jet. Good luck.JimCYWG

Guest DK8290

I've never heard of it called the Gimli Goose , but rather the GLimli Glider... I searched for Gimli GOode but didn't find it. Kere's a bit about it as labelled the Gimli GLiderhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider---------------A runway had been converted into racing dragstrips and apparently it was a 'family day' with a bunch of people and cars there. Imagine the shock of seeing this B767 land LOL------------------------------------------I've never purposefully cut off engines above an airort but just ran out of fuel and tried to make it to a nearby airstrip (in small GA planes though). I might try doing this above an airport.(I assume you mean flight sim ?) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Coincidentally, the mechanics sent out to Gimli from Winnipeg Airport were left stranded when their van ran out of fuel.[5] Another was sent to pick them up."~LOL~

Guest RonB49

Several years ago, there was a contest here at AVSIM, I believe; if not it was another site that I frequented at the time. The scenerio placed you in a C182 on downwind to land at Midway 4R as I recall. The engine quit and you had to perform all emercency procedures (squawk 7700, etc.), set the plane up properly (flaps, speed, etc.), and land the plane on the correct runway. I remember it cause I either won or came in second. Either way, there was no monitary prize.R-