Sign in to follow this  
Guest pwdodds

Building a Virtual Cockpit

Guest pwdodds

I am OK on placing gauges in a virtual cockpit via the panel.cfg file, but where are the bitmaps for the virtual cockpit? I had heard that they are included in the model files. I hope this isn't so, as I have absoluytely know knowledge of how to build aircraft models.Peter

Guest gfx4u

Well, yes and no. If you are talking about the textures of the parts inside the virtual cockpit, they are all stored as a usual .bmp texture, usually in the aircraft's texture folder. They are refenced by filename in the model file. If you were really desperate to change the textures, you could grab a hex editor, find oldfilename.bmp in the plane's mdl file, and replace it with newfilename.bmp. However, the texture cordinates in the old file would have to be the same as the new file's.But if the aircraft you want to work on has no virtual cockpit model already, then it's time to fire up gmax and start learning to model.:-lolHope this helps,Sean

Guest pwdodds

Great. :-( That is just the answer I didn't want!Thanks for replying, anyway.Peter

Guest gfx4u

Just a suggestion...If you want an easy way of modeling, try FSDS 3 by Louis Sinclair. (find it on abacuspub.com)Most people get started with it over gmax due to the fact it's mcuh simpler to learn.I personally prefer gmax, but that's due to the fact that I learned 3D modelling in 3ds max v3 at school.There are also some great tutorials over at freeflightdesign.com written for the complete "novice".Just in case if you ever get the urge to start.Sincerely,Sean

Guest pwdodds

i'll try and resist the urge to learn yet another FS skill:-) but I've copied your msg into my Aircraft Design Folder, so maybe...ThanksPeter

Guest Mathias

Peter, if the plane you want to tinker with HAS a VC in the first place (as you suggest by saying you know how to work the VC bits in the panel.cfg) it is of course possible to insert your own panel bitmaps in the locations where you can also place gauges (AND see them):[VCockpit01]file=VC_Pmain.bmpsize_mm=500,383pixel_size=1000,766The background bitmap named VC_Pmain.bmp in my case must be located in the panel folder. The tricky bit is finding out the correct w/h ratio of the dummy texture used by the modeller because anything outside that width to height scope will appear warped in the VC.In my case the ratio is 500/383.The pixel_size bit instructs FS to display 2 pixels per mm thus greatly improving readabilty of the gauges with little impact on the framerate, at least on my ageing 2.66GHz machine.So do not despair that easily. But once again this will only work if the plane you are working has a VC, and it will only work in those places where the modeller put a dummy texture.

Guest pwdodds

Mathias - that's great thanks. I'll have a go. Unfortunately the bit of the VC I REALLY want to change (the panel is OK-ish) is the bit where you look down at your feet - it is rather too simplistic and I thought I might "improve" it.Peter